Dutch oven and bent tent poles

OP
OP
M

Mc4500

Mar 7, 2013
Arizona
Mrs. O,
I emailed, apparently your husband, and was wondering if you could ask him about it, and hopefully respond!
His input would be greatly appreciated, as well as yours!

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Late to class

Hola amigos,
Sorry I did not find this for quite some time. I do not know of the finding of a dutch oven and bent tent poles, associated with the Lost Dutchman legend. The Bicknell article published in 1894 mentions finding a hand-made shovel hammered out of an iron rod, which had some slag and silver still adhering to it, which indicated that someone had used it to smelt some metal out of ore, and some other items he found in a stone house in a cave, but not a dutch oven or tent poles mentioned. If I am recalling this right, Sims Ely mentioned that Jim Bark found a cast iron frying pan on top of a hill overlooking an old campsite, which he beileved to have been the camp of the Dutchman Jacob Waltz, and it should be in Ely's book The Lost Dutchman Mine but I do not have that handy at the moment to check. The frying pan had a hole punched in it, which Bark had assumed was a bullet hole, but an Indian account of the attack said they had made the hole with a pick they found in the camp, not a bullet.

The lost Schofield mine, aka Lost Dutch Oven mine of the Clipper mountains in California had a dutch oven, and various other items found in the camp site, but as you have said this is not the incident you are referring to I fear that I can not help. Sorry, but if I do find something that fits the specifics of a dutch oven and bent tent poles, associated with the Lost Dutchman, I will post it here.

My apologies again for not finding this for so long, I was absent from class here for a bit over a year and did not get online much in that time. Good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Oroblanco

PS I forgot to include this,:BangHead: here is a link to a transcribed P.C. Bicknell article referenced above, also includes the 1895 article which many think was the "first" article ever done on the Lost Dutchman.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb...ff/LostDutchman/ruth/Bicknell Transcribed.pdf

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread