DUTCHMAN ORE?

Nothing between the lines there Frank - if there was, I wouldn't be posting on an internet forum, I'd be sipping slushy rum drinks on some exotic island somewhere. I sure wouldn't be sitting in New England waiting for yet another fricking winter to arrive :).

Nothin makes a slushy rum drink more refreshing, than a handfull of frozen nuggets at the bottom of the glass.
Won't water it down, either.

Last edited:
New England and Canada. The land of the frozen nuggets. Thats why you two come out here. To defrost your nuggies. There is a chill in the air here tonight. Neighbors think I'm nuts. There wearing winter coats and I'm running around with no shirt on.

Last edited:
New England and Canada. The land of the frozen nuggets. Thats why you two come out here. To defrost your nuggies. There is a chill in the air here tonight. Neighbors think I'm nuts. There wearing winter coats and I'm running around with no shirt on.

When it drops into the low 60's Frank, the Fur Coats in Scottsdale come out.. :laughing7:

The discussion about the Lost Dutchman is interesting. There seems to be some truth, but much has also taken on mythical proportions. I am interested in Arizona's great history, but mostly the Butterfield Overland Trail. This too has taken on a similar pattern of mythology. There was only one Butterfield route across Arizona that basically follows the I10 and I8 corridor, yet some believe there are many others. If I mapped all the Butterfield stage stations that many believe existed, there would be a line zigzagging across Arizona in such a complex pattern that the stagecoaches would never get through the state. There were only twenty-five Butterfield stage stations in Arizona at its peak in the fall of 1860.
There is story after story of Butterfield stagecoaches getting robbed in Arizona, yet there were none. Indians never stopped a Butterfield stagecoach from completing its mission.
There is a monument near Sulphur Springs, not far from Tombstone and just south of Benson, that states there was a Butterfield Station there. The monument exists therefore it is the truth, yet there was no Butterfield station there.
When all the stories of the Lost Dutchman and the Butterfield Overland Mail Company are boiled down to that which is based on primary historical references, the information would be reduced to a few volumes instead of a mountain of books.
Concerning the Butterfield Trail in Arizona, much is now known that was not known forty years ago because of the easy availability of research material made available on the the internet.
Photo 01.JPG
Dragoon Springs Stage Station-1970
Copyright 2011, The Butterfield Trail and Overland Mail Company in Arizona, 1858-1861

Last edited:
G'morning sgt: Yep, remember I was in the military also, I am used to reading between the lines. "Lt you 'will' do thiis, but if anything goes wrong, you are on your own."

So you want me to find the LDM also - if it ever existed ?? heehheh, Will cost you and Cubber mucho cafe mis amigos.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Don Jose

My interest is prospecting some of the area where gold was found in the past and today. If I fall into the Dutchmans hole so be it. Though I hear its a hard hole to get out of.

Some folks talk about searching the mountain they call Tortilla. They say there are many eyes there. Not sure if that's true. I venture there often. A very beautiful place with a lot of interesting topography to say the least. We have a group of very close and experienced brothers that search together and that keeps us safe when we hit the mountains. Nothing beats a close knit group of men that share the same passion for danger and adventure. NOTHING! Good luck on your search areas friends.

Double-Jack!
The Badger-

It has often been stated that the only acceptable proof for someone finding the LDM, would be the ore itself.

These could very well be pictures of that ore. It has been tested.

image0-1-3.jpg
When I went out last month I found some rocks that looked like that on top of the hill above the cave,near the chimney shute. I picked one up that was oval shaped,almost like the one in your lower left photo,it fit in the palm of my hand and I looked at it for a few minutes.It was quartz and tan and black with gold specs glistening in the sun,but they looked more like crystals than metallic.Man! I wish I kept that rock to have it tested. Chuck

It has often been stated that the only acceptable proof for someone finding the LDM, would be the ore itself.

These could very well be pictures of that ore. It has been tested.

image0-1-3.jpg
When I went out last month I found some rocks that looked like that on top of the hill above the cave,near the chimney shute. I picked one up that was oval shaped,almost like the one in your lower left photo,it fit in the palm of my hand and I looked at it for a few minutes.It was quartz and tan and black with gold specs glistening in the sun,but they looked more like crystals than metallic.Man! I wish I kept that rock to have it tested. Chuck

Chuck,

Are you talking about the ridge above the pit mine?

Thanks,

Joe

Yes, I went up the right side of the rock cliff,past a bees nest in the wall to the top of the ridge.Up near the top is a clearing with the rocks all over the place.The top of the pit is at the bottom of the clearing. There is an opening at the bottom of the pit, you have to climb down the side of the hill to get to it.
Chuck,

Are you talking about the ridge above the pit mine?

Thanks,

Joe

Yes, I went up the right side of the rock cliff,past a bees nest in the wall to the top of the ridge.Up near the top is a clearing with the rocks all over the place.The top of the pit is at the bottom of the clearing. There is an opening at the bottom of the pit, you have to climb down the side of the hill to get to it.

Chuck,

You are correct. It is all over the place.

Good luck,

Joe

Sorry fellas, but most Phoenicians can walk out in their back yards and find stained quartz. :occasion14:

Sorry fellas, but most Phoenicians can walk out in their back yards and find stained quartz. :occasion14:

Terry,

That's a little different from what is spread out on that ridge. There are a number of places in the Superstitions where the ground is covered with small pieces of quartz. In other places, you won't find any at all. One interesting place is just east, and above, Little Boulder Canyon. By a strange coincidence, it is noted on the "Fish Map".:dontknow:

More can be found on the "Fish Map" here:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/lost-dutchmans-mine/38208-frank-fish-map.html

Joe Ribaudo

I believe this quartz came out of the pit mine.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back