What's new

Eagle Button

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
6,690
Reaction score
716
Golden Thread
1
Location
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Found an A button with the 3 feathers i was looking for.
not exact, but close enough! Thanks to All, HH Herbie
Hello,
had 15 minutes to search my new site between jobs,
found 2 buttons, more whatsits, And a wheat cent.
all on or near surface.
This eagle button is my favorite so far,
Nickel size, and as usual for my finds, in poor condition.
can see no backmark,
Have searched my button websites, no matches for me,
the wings seem cruder than the CW era eagle buttons.
I find none with 3 feathers on wings.
How about anyone else?
thanks & HH, Herbie.
 

Attachments

  • NC FINDS 8-30 001.webp
    NC FINDS 8-30 001.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 292
  • NC FINDS 8-30 002.webp
    NC FINDS 8-30 002.webp
    51.5 KB · Views: 287
  • NC FINDS 8-30 004.webp
    NC FINDS 8-30 004.webp
    24.3 KB · Views: 288
  • NC FINDS 8-30.2.webp
    NC FINDS 8-30.2.webp
    23.5 KB · Views: 164
That's a squished Eagle Artillery button. I am going to guess pre-war mabe as early as the 1830s.
 
Upvote 0
Is the first one pewter Herbie? Looks like an early one. Iron Patch will be able to tell you. Second one looks like an eagle A. Civil war maybe. :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
mainer said:
Is the first one pewter Herbie? Looks like an early one. Iron Patch will be able to tell you. Second one looks like an eagle A. Civil war maybe. :icon_thumright:
Hello Mainer, All pix same button, different lighting, brass,
Put other button in separate post, Thanks & Good Day,
 
Upvote 0
it does look to be an A ( artillery button) Probably dates 1840's -50's
 
Upvote 0
I think it is earlier, the wings are different than the 1830s A button I found before,
I don't think age & pressure would change the eagle image to this extent.
below is a reply to inquiry on button below.
Hello Mr. Robinson, this is a Seminole Indian War Era U. S. Artillery button. it dates to the 1830's, and is believed to have been made by the R & W. Robinson (name sake?) Company of Attleboro, Mass.

Kind regards,

William Leigh www.civilwarbuttons.com
 

Attachments

  • CW ARTILLERY OFFICER BUTTON 001 copy.webp
    CW ARTILLERY OFFICER BUTTON 001 copy.webp
    35 KB · Views: 231
Upvote 0
steelheadwill said:
I think it is earlier, the wings are different than the 1830s A button I found before,
I don't think age & pressure would change the eagle image to this extent.
below is a reply to inquiry on button below.
Hello Mr. Robinson, this is a Seminole Indian War Era U. S. Artillery button. it dates to the 1830's, and is believed to have been made by the R & W. Robinson (name sake?) Company of Attleboro, Mass.

Kind regards,

William Leigh www.civilwarbuttons.com

The R&W Robinson backmark dates this button to 1836-48. The style of the eagle on your first button resembles one in Albert's book that carries backmarks from the 1840s to 1863. I imagine different companies produced different style buttons.
 
Upvote 0
Found a Match, well close enough! Thanks All!!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom