What's new

Eagle Button

ipsilateral

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2005
Messages
331
Reaction score
141
Golden Thread
0
Location
MoCo
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any ideas on this brass eagle button? No manufacturer.
 

Attachments

  • button.webp
    button.webp
    16.9 KB · Views: 356
  • button2.webp
    button2.webp
    14.8 KB · Views: 314
Ok. Thanks.
 
Upvote 0
Are there two letters on the back? To me that looks military.
 
Upvote 0
Not a marking on it at all. I see what you are looking at-- just rust spots. I thought it looked military too, but traderoftreasure sounds pretty certain.
 
Upvote 0
I think its a replica of a military officers staff button. Im not certain but Ill have to compare to the ones I have.
 
Upvote 0
Two votes for replica is good enough for me. Green check. Good to have examples of replicas on the site as well for future reference.
 
Upvote 0
ipsilateral said:
Two votes for replica is good enough for me. Green check. Good to have examples of replicas on the site as well for future reference.
I posted mine here a while back. Im searching for it.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Its definitely military but I think repro. :dontknow: I thought the originals were 3-piece but Im not sure, thats why I said hold off on the green check. ;D Ipsilaterals button appears to be 2-piece.

Good match on the front fyrffytr1.
 
Upvote 0
Ipsi, is your button 2 or 3 piece? (3 piece would be front, back and ring).
 
Upvote 0
It's the shank that was bothering me. It appears to be a wire that's been inserted into the button, but from that thread, that could still be military. The other thing that bothers me about it is the cheap tinny backing and lack of a manufacturer's stamp. This appears to be a 2 piece button not including the wire which is loose and not soldered.
 
Upvote 0
It may be period, but unofficial. It's a nice looking button!

The key to identifying it will be the shield variation, with the three points on the top of the shield. I've been unable to find one like it.

Good luck.
 
Upvote 0
It is absolutely identical to the button posted by fyrffytr1, shield variation and all. The back is different which seems odd, but perhaps it is Indian Wars.. I'm sure others will weigh in.
 
Upvote 0
Montana Jim said:
The key to identifying it will be the shield variation, with the three points on the top of the shield. I've been unable to find one like it.
fyrff found one similar online (see above). It also has a floppy shank.
 

Attachments

  • button indian wars staff.webp
    button indian wars staff.webp
    18.8 KB · Views: 262
Upvote 0
ipsilateral said:
It is absolutely identical to the button posted by fyrffytr1, shield variation and all. The back is different which seems odd, but perhaps it is Indian Wars.. I'm sure others will weigh in.
Different makers used different backs. If you look at the site I posted you will see that it also has an unmarked tin back. This chart may help you in IDing button types.
 

Attachments

  • Button Types.webp
    Button Types.webp
    197 KB · Views: 305
Upvote 0
fyrffytr1 said:
Different makers used different backs. If you look at the site I posted you will see that it also has an unmarked tin back. This chart may help you in IDing button types.
Good description but the diagram is deceiving because it shows 2 piece buttons (II) like the muffin type 3- piece (III). Commonly 2 piece buttons are not raised like a muffin. Not many 2 piece buttons are muffin shaped. I dont know if any authentic staff officer buttons are 2 piece and this may be the key to identification. :dontknow: Myself, Im not concerned about the shank not soldered.
 
Upvote 0
I meant it as a general description of the different construction types. It came from "Albert's" book.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Replies
12
Views
1K
Replies
3
Views
360

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom