Eagle

doctordetector

Feb 25, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys

I found this while detecting an old park a few years ago but I can’t seem to tell what it is. I thought it might be a door knocker. Any suggestions ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583804839.951577.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583804868.886708.jpg

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's cool. The front and back are detailed so I don't think a door knocker. How big is it? Looks like it hangs on a hook.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As Gene already mentioned... could we please get a pic of it next to a coin for scale. :thumbsup:
Also length, width and thickness of you don't mind.

Nice find,
Dave

Upvote 0

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since it was made to be seen on both sides, maybe part of a wind chime or bell. Sub 8-)
2-Cast-Iron-Bird-Hummingbird-Windchime-Windbell-Patio-Courtyard-Gardon-Outdoor-Hanging-Decor-Antique-Wind-Bell.jpg

Upvote 0

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First thing I thought was something to do with a bell clapper and I think it is a handle/weight for a rope/chain hanging from a bell. It's funny because I just got a hand me down bell 2 days ago and your piece made me think of it. I think your hand wraps around the eagle and the limb keeps your hand from slipping off. Similar arrangement to what SubT posted above.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks very much for following up with pics and the measurements doc. :thumbsup:

Now knowing the size, it looks as if the top loop has been soldered on.
At first I thought your piece was made of bronze, but seeing the copper verdigris leaching out, I'm thinking it's more likely to be made of pot metal.

"Pot metal is an alloy of low-melting point metals that manufacturers use to make fast, inexpensive castings. There is no metallurgical standard for pot metal. Common metals in pot metal include zinc, lead, copper, tin, magnesium, aluminum, iron, and cadmium. The primary advantage of pot metal is that it is quick and easy to cast. Because of its low melting temperature, it requires no sophisticated foundry equipment or specialized molds. In the late nineteenth century, pot metal referred specifically to a copper alloy that was primarily alloyed with lead. Mixtures of 67% copper with 29% lead and 4% antimony and another one of 80% copper with 20% lead were common formulations. The primary component of pot metal is zinc, but often the caster adds other metals to the mix to strengthen the cast part, improve flow of the molten metal, or to reduce cost."

I'm now thinking your 'eagle' was more likely designed to be a decorative piece as oppose to functional. :icon_scratch:

Dave

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583894239.946504-crop.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583894239.946504-crop.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 38
  • ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583804868.886708.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583804868.886708.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 41
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread