Early Log cabin

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and a buddy went to a early log cabin site. We hunted for maybe a hour and a half and it was really squeaky clean :( We will go back . But here are some pictures of the place. Notice the piano framework ?

Piano.jpg

Attachments

• Log1.jpg
    Log1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 48
  • Log2.jpg
    Log2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 51
  • Log3.jpg
    Log3.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 52
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We did not find a decent target :( we will come back . can not believe how clean the place was

jose159

Jul 15, 2021
SW Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a really cool spot and great pictures! I almost always find pieces of old cast iron stoves in places like that. Keep us posted on the next hunt there.

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try to hunt the ground inside the foundation walls when they are cleared out if you can. Coins could fall through cracks in the floor. Good luck!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Our local volunteer fire dept has made it a habit to burn down all the old abandoned houses and barns in the township for firefighting practice. I don’t think there’s a single one left. After burning and leveling it leaves an area full of nails.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
nice images.

I think it is a bit odd not to find any targets at all.

many old sites here in Indiana used a revine or low area as a dump area.

you just never know what's out there

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is interesting that much of the structure is milled boards (presumably with round nails) while part of the structure has hand hewn logs.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is interesting that much of the structure is milled boards (presumably with round nails) while part of the structure has hand hewn logs.
It was common for early settlers to build log cabins, then cover them or add onto them with milled lumber when it became available.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was common for early settlers to build log cabins, then cover them or add onto them with milled lumber when it became available.
Just didn’t look like they added onto much of a structure ;)

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just didn’t look like they added onto much of a structure ;)
By our standards. Things were different then. I’ve visited several early settler cabins that were not even as big as a modern garage, but were considered spacious at the time. I’m guessing people were also shorter. Most of the cabins I’ve been to would have given me a constant headache from bumping into doorways. 😊

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEARLY ALL of the early settlers had no" house " as far as a destination. Many had a deed for a tract of land And often the accuracy on hem was questionable .When they arrived at the deeded property Once they found their spot to put up buildings and shelters The priority became building shelters for livestock As a work in progress it may have been years until they said the house is complete .As families grew extra room was in order And over time things changed When the original building were put into place they where often not very square But I guy living in what passed as the current barn And buildings they did not sharing with 2 cows and a litter of pigs was a huge step up Even if it way out of square And at times buildings where removed from one location to another thus the various types of lumber used in the same building

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By our standards. Things were different then. I’ve visited several early settler cabins that were not even as big as a modern garage, but were considered spacious at the time. I’m guessing people were also shorter. Most of the cabins I’ve been to would have given me a constant headache from bumping into doorways. 😊
The physical labor needed to build a large house using the equipment they had to work with in those times We can not begin to fathom example digging out a basement with a shovel iT was not a one weekend task And then it was on to gathering rocks for a foundation . No modern equipment was on hand An Lowes did not have a fleet of trucks to make deliveries any Most of the time it became a make due situation , The primary reasons for low ceiling was lifting logs or rocks above your head was hard work And high ceilings meant it was harder to keep warm in the winter

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The physical labor needed to build a large house using the equipment they had to work with in those times We can not begin to fathom example digging out a basement with a shovel
We can understand it if we choose to. Try cutting down a tree with an axe sometime, then cutting it into firewood with a hand saw. Even with a two-man saw, that's some work. And I actually did dig a basement with a shovel one time several years ago (well, a root cellar, which is the size one of their basements might have been). It was indeed a lot of work, and definitely not a one day project.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck going back Gare…
Try to find if there is signs of a old road close by and try further away from the cabin

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck going back Gare…
Try to find if there is signs of a old road close by and try further away from the cabin
Better yet a trail leading to where they fell and squared those axe hewn timbers.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We did not find a decent target :( we will come back . can not believe how clean the place was
I know the guy who hunted it, and his motto is.. leave no trace behind.... ha ha ha (just kidding)
Long time ago someone said, if you can see it, everyone can see it, and it's the first place to get hunted..

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the guy who hunted it, and his motto is.. leave no trace behind.... ha ha ha (just kidding)
Long time ago someone said, if you can see it, everyone can see it, and it's the first place to get hunted..
That last statement may be true, but all it takes is a squirrel to dig something to the surface, a coin to lay flat instead of on edge, a stone to get rolled over, a fruit tree to be uprooted, nails to be patiently dug. Someone to dig a faint signal that previous detectors canceled out. There is always the possibility of treasure. Truth be told majority of people cherry pick using discrimination and walk right over what they are looking for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread