What's new

Early morning Kansas sweet finds!!

ROCKateer

Full Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2013
Messages
168
Reaction score
283
Golden Thread
0
Location
Shawnee, KS.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So far so good huh?? What is everyone's thoughts? More pics of others as they are found..
 

Attachments

  • image-346740901.webp
    image-346740901.webp
    83.6 KB · Views: 164
  • image-266415534.webp
    image-266415534.webp
    72.1 KB · Views: 158
  • image-1390306636.webp
    image-1390306636.webp
    65.5 KB · Views: 171
  • image-1554637503.webp
    image-1554637503.webp
    69.9 KB · Views: 164
Upvote 0
Nice day!! Heck, that's a nice year for most, myself included!
 
Looks almost like a Toma Hawk but I have never found one and really havent ever seen one before. Does that groove go all the way on the other side?
Is there a bit on it on the fat end? Looks cool to me a mystery piece.
Welcome to the site.

rock and ROCKateer, it's a three-quarter groove axe. With some damage to the bit. Can't see the bit end completely, if blunt to begin with, would be a three-quarter groove hammerstone. 3/4 groove axe as opposed to full groove.
 
rock and ROCKateer, it's a three-quarter groove axe. With some damage to the bit. Can't see the bit end completely, if blunt to begin with, would be a three-quarter groove hammerstone. 3/4 groove axe as opposed to full groove.

Charl is right. No mystery here. It is a 3/4 groove axe with the bit broken off. Tomahawk is a term used for metal historic pieces made by Europeans and traded to NA.
 
No it's not.. tomahawks are stone too indians also had war hammers blunt on both ends does anyone read anymore ....well maybe I'm wrong I'm gonna have to keep reading I guess lolololol
 
No it's not.. tomahawks are stone too indians also had war hammers blunt on both ends does anyone read anymore ....well maybe I'm wrong I'm gonna have to keep reading I guess lolololol

We are referring not to the grooved axe but this piece
 

Attachments

  • image-647119181.webp
    image-647119181.webp
    41 KB · Views: 87
attachment.php


Yep I would agree yours was probally a little larger than mine. But I would bet $100 that yours is a grooved axe too. Congrats on all your finds!
 
Very nice finds!

The bone you found looks very similar to a turtle bone. I have a few. Like a shoulder bone in a sense

Yep, it looks like one of the bones from the bottom of a soft shelled turtle (but I guess it could be any decent sized turtle.
 
No it's not.. tomahawks are stone too indians also had war hammers blunt on both ends does anyone read anymore ....well maybe I'm wrong I'm gonna have to keep reading I guess lolololol

Sorry double post.
 
Last edited:
No it's not.. tomahawks are stone too indians also had war hammers blunt on both ends does anyone read anymore ....well maybe I'm wrong I'm gonna have to keep reading I guess lolololol

You might want to be a little careful where you take the terminology and ID'S from... War hammer sounds really cool especially if you want to sell it to people that don't have a lot of experience.. most are actually mauls and used mostly as a utilitarian tool.. not quite so flashy.
 
Last edited:
The book and professor I talked to explains that they used there utility tools as weapons when it was time a small hatchet axe for cutting wood or a small hammer for a maul became a tomahawk and a war hammer in battle so if it best suit you I will call them utilitarian tools instead of tomahawks and war hammers ;)
 
Stick that in your platform pipe and smoke it hahaha .............I thought it was funny
 
Indians where I'm located did a lot of fighting so I guess it depends on your location
 
Okay man.. my ex hit me with an ashtray once.. of course what was available at the time may have been used for something else.. I open paint cans with a screwdriver alot.. it's still called a screwdriver.
Look up tomahawk.. in a real archaeological document.
 
I apologize friend I was hot earlier from the comments earlier from someone else and I took it out on everyone sincerely painter...
 
A negative opinion is one thing but being criticized is totally different I know those things would get laughed at a show lol I'd laugh but not in the guys face make sense smart a$$ comments like the one made by Illinois guy come on man Lolol
 
I open paint cans with quarters but I can't kill you with one lol axe , tomahawk whatever I don't sell stuff so tomahawk sounds better that axe atleast my kids think so
 
We are referring not to the grooved axe but this piece

You know I have been following this website/thread/app for past month or two and finally decided to get an account... and I have to say its one of my favorite things so far!!
 
Looks almost like a Toma Hawk but I have never found one and really havent ever seen one before. Does that groove go all the way on the other side?
Is there a bit on it on the fat end? Looks cool to me a mystery piece.
Welcome to the site.

So no one commented on this one. I was just wondering if this is a dalton blade or what??
 

Attachments

  • image-4250598708.webp
    image-4250598708.webp
    30.8 KB · Views: 89
So no one commented on this one. I was just wondering if this is a dalton blade or what??


Welcome to artifacts . Great handle. It is a very nice piece. I do not know if it is Dalton though. I have one somewhere similar and think it was classified as a spike or tn river knife. It was a wicked tool but not as nice as yours. Glad you decided to join and look forward to reading your post.
HH
TnMtns
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom