What's new

Early morning Kansas sweet finds!!

ROCKateer

Full Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2013
Messages
168
Reaction score
283
Golden Thread
0
Location
Shawnee, KS.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So far so good huh?? What is everyone's thoughts? More pics of others as they are found..
 

Attachments

  • image-346740901.webp
    image-346740901.webp
    83.6 KB · Views: 164
  • image-266415534.webp
    image-266415534.webp
    72.1 KB · Views: 158
  • image-1390306636.webp
    image-1390306636.webp
    65.5 KB · Views: 171
  • image-1554637503.webp
    image-1554637503.webp
    69.9 KB · Views: 164
Upvote 0
Sorry I didnt have time to discuss this but I just got home from work.
I can see the grooved ax being a maul either one would fit.
I was calling the last one a Tomahawk seeing it had the groove in the middle.
Either way I dont have much experience in that type of artifact seeing I have not found any like them. It was a guess on my part.
Just trying to learn something new. I got the scrapers down pat, lol
 
Welcome to artifacts . Great handle. It is a very nice piece. I do not know if it is Dalton though. I have one somewhere similar and think it was classified as a spike or tn river knife. It was a wicked tool but not as nice as yours. Glad you decided to join and look forward to reading your post.
HH
TnMtns

Thanks pal!! The red and black obsidian one was up in a finer sandier area. When i spotted it id never seen such a beautiful one (other than in a book or museum) Do you think that it was a bartered point back in that time period??
 
A negative opinion is one thing but being criticized is totally different I know those things would get laughed at a show lol I'd laugh but not in the guys face make sense smart a$$ comments like the one made by Illinois guy come on man Lolol

Everyone one of us is entitled to bad days and in a venue like an Internet forum, it is quite easy for misunderstandings to arise, both in terms of how we interpret someone else's tone and in this instance my bad for thinking you were in fact talking about the 3/4 groove axe. However, I do want to point out that Illiniguy's comments regarding tomahawks was not only accurate, but it was also delivered in a polite manner that would seem quite impossible to interpret as "smart a$$ comments". Both he, and I, were offering help, and we both are not only well read, but artifact collectors with many decades of experience. That said, I have allowed frustration to show at times, always unnecessary, but human when one sees woefully inaccurate information being conveyed. So certainly frustration can come out at times. There is clear evidence in my region of New England, for instance, that metal tomahawks obtained from Europeans were used in both utilitarian fashion as well as in warfare. We have no such evidence for the use of stone cutting implements used in that fashion. The stone hatchet was the tool closest in appearance prior to the arrival of metal trade goods. Also, the blade with the groove, the piece you were talking about, would not appear to be a tomahawk at any rate. Just trying to help here, nobody was in anybody's face that I can see. People should be able to help without such quick, and inaccurate, judgements.

Here are what tomahawks look like, obtained from Europeans:
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    111.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Everyone one of us is entitled to bad days and in a venue like an Internet forum, it is quite easy for misunderstandings to arise, both in terms of how we interpret someone else's tone and in this instance my bad for thinking you were in fact talking about the 3/4 groove axe. However, I do want to point out that Illiniguy's comments regarding tomahawks was not only accurate, but it was also delivered in a polite manner that would seem quite impossible to interpret as "smart a$$ comments". Both he, and I, were offering help, and we both are not only well read, but artifact collectors with many decades of experience. That said, I have allowed frustration to show at times, always unnecessary, but human when one sees woefully inaccurate information being conveyed. So certainly frustration can come out at times. There is clear evidence in my region of New England, for instance, that metal tomahawks obtained from Europeans were used in both utilitarian fashion as well as in warfare. We have no such evidence for the use of stone cutting implements used in that fashion. The stone hatchet was the tool closest in appearance prior to the arrival of metal trade goods. Also, the blade with the groove, the piece you were talking about, would not appear to be a tomahawk at any rate. Just trying to help here, nobody was in anybody's face that I can see. People should be able to help without such quick, and inaccurate, judgements.

Here are what tomahawks look like, obtained from Europeans:

Thanks Charlie for clearing that up. I never knew that so this is the type of info I like. I enjoy learning something new everyday if possible. By the way I think you have one of the best looking avatars going on any forum! Glad to see it again, its been a while. Stick around for a while, rock
 
Last edited:
Very nice finds. The redish and black one next to the duck foot. Is the material mahogany obsidian?
 
Everyone one of us is entitled to bad days and in a venue like an Internet forum, it is quite easy for misunderstandings to arise, both in terms of how we interpret someone else's tone and in this instance my bad for thinking you were in fact talking about the 3/4 groove axe. However, I do want to point out that Illiniguy's comments regarding tomahawks was not only accurate, but it was also delivered in a polite manner that would seem quite impossible to interpret as "smart a$$ comments". Both he, and I, were offering help, and we both are not only well read, but artifact collectors with many decades of experience. That said, I have allowed frustration to show at times, always unnecessary, but human when one sees woefully inaccurate information being conveyed. So certainly frustration can come out at times. There is clear evidence in my region of New England, for instance, that metal tomahawks obtained from Europeans were used in both utilitarian fashion as well as in warfare. We have no such evidence for the use of stone cutting implements used in that fashion. The stone hatchet was the tool closest in appearance prior to the arrival of metal trade goods. Also, the blade with the groove, the piece you were talking about, would not appear to be a tomahawk at any rate. Just trying to help here, nobody was in anybody's face that I can see. People should be able to help without such quick, and inaccurate, judgements.

Here are what tomahawks look like, obtained from Europeans:
Thanks for the kind words Charlie. Gosh, this is the first time in 5 years of forums and over 11000 posts I have ever been called anything like that or had a post deleted by a Mod. I think I am done here.
 
Thanks for the kind words Charlie. Gosh, this is the first time in 5 years of forums and over 11000 posts I have ever been called anything like that or had a post deleted by a Mod. I think I am done here.

I wouldn't necessarily give it up just yet!! My opinion.
 
So no one commented on this one. I was just wondering if this is a dalton blade or what??
attachment.php

...I like this one! Looks like an exhausted blade of some kind....google "Neosho Blades" and see if it might be that. Is the material white? or gray?
Good finds Rockateer!
 
...I like this one! Looks like an exhausted blade of some kind....google "Neosho Blades" and see if it might be that. Is the material white? or gray?
Good finds Rockateer!

It's a grey light chert.
 
I understand that mahogany obsidian points are on the rare side to find. Any others out there have any thoughts?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom