What's new

Early Piece

rock

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2012
Messages
14,751
Reaction score
8,933
Golden Thread
0
Location
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this last yr and havent showed it due to it being so hard to see the work on it. If anyone has any like it feel free to show yours. I dont know the name of it and it is the only one I have found like it. Its made from black quartzite 4"x 2.5" Found in N Ga.
 

Attachments

  • 100_2028.webp
    100_2028.webp
    314.1 KB · Views: 119
  • 100_2534.webp
    100_2534.webp
    202.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 100_2535.webp
    100_2535.webp
    258.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 100_2537.webp
    100_2537.webp
    239.8 KB · Views: 123
  • 100_2538.webp
    100_2538.webp
    125.1 KB · Views: 128
  • 100_2539.webp
    100_2539.webp
    129.8 KB · Views: 125
Upvote 0
Rock, I can't see the work on it. Being that you said "the work is hard to see" I do not doubt that it's there.
 
Its made from black quartzite and all the items I have found made from it is Early Archaic to middle. I believe it is called a stemed Oval Knife. But I might be wrong.
 
Last edited:
It would of been hafted like this in the picture. It might not be old it is the only one I have found like it. I know Woodland hafted them like this also. I do believe it was used as a knife. Black quartzite just doesnt hold up like flint with age. I do believe some type of lithics break down with age.
 

Attachments

  • 100_2738.webp
    100_2738.webp
    167.7 KB · Views: 118

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom