Early Relics in Missouri.. Lead Knuckles??

U

umrgolf

Two days ago I went on a permission mission about 20 miles from the camps I've been hunting on the opposite side of town. Based on research, I suspected this field had early settlements and secured permission. I've located what I believe is an old homesite that probably dates from around 1840 and was occupied no later than the 1870's. First trip I got the 1861 quarter, a few eagle buttons, and other relics.

Today, I went back for a few hours and was very surprised at some of the earlier relics coming from this small rectangular area of the field. The spoon bowls appear to be pewter, three having the shellback design, one a floral pattern, and the other a heart. Today the only CW relic was the knapsack hook and possibly the knuckles??

I haven't gotten on the web to research the knuckles yet, but they are very intriguing and I appreciate any input.

IMG_0561.JPG

IMG_0562.JPG

IMG_0568.JPG

IMG_0569.JPG

IMG_0563.JPG

IMG_0567.JPG

IMG_0564.JPG

IMG_0565.JPG

IMG_0566.JPG

Upvote 0

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
Nice Digs!
Great asssortment of finds,
Love the spigot, recently dug one of very similar style, still has a piece of lead pipe attached. pretty piece.
I don't recall the difference in readings for pewter and 'nickel silver/brittannia metal'
I can say that it is a much more durable material and will not show edge flaking
and brittleness that pewter displays.
it would be quite difficult to break a nickel silver spoon.

How do those knuckles fit the hand?
HH to ya thumbsup

steelheadwill,

For clarification sake, "Nickel Silver" (which of course does not contain any silver) is a much different metallic alloy than "Britannia Metal". The readings on metal detectors for these two alloys, and the survival condition in excavated examples, will be vastly different. :read2:

Britannia Metal is in fact an improvement in later period pewter manufacturing. Nickel is indeed a very strong metal, as is copper (the primary alloy in Nickel Silver). Tin on the other hand, while quite shiny and resistant to many corrosive elements (hence the use in plating on steel.......as in tinned cans), can be rather brittle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_silver

http://www.pewters.net/What-is-Pewter/Britannia-Metal-History.htm

CC Hunter

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Jeff, especially the lead knuckles. Although...if you hit someone pretty hard with those, is the lead soft enough that it would smash together on your fingers? :crybaby2: :laughing9:

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds!!! love the knuckles and the buckle. :headbang:

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
CC Hunter said:
Nice Digs!
Great asssortment of finds,
Love the spigot, recently dug one of very similar style, still has a piece of lead pipe attached. pretty piece.
I don't recall the difference in readings for pewter and 'nickel silver/brittannia metal'
I can say that it is a much more durable material and will not show edge flaking
and brittleness that pewter displays.
it would be quite difficult to break a nickel silver spoon.

How do those knuckles fit the hand?
HH to ya thumbsup

steelheadwill,

For clarification sake, "Nickel Silver" (which of course does not cotain any silver) is a much different metallic alloy than "Britannia Metal". The readings on metal detectors for these two alloys, and the survival condition in excavated examples, will be vastly different. :read2:

Britannia Metal is in fact an improvement in later period pewter manufacturing. Nickel is indeed a very strong metal, as is copper (the primary alloy in Nickel Silver). Tin on the other hand, while quite shiny and resistant to many corrosive elements (hence the use in plating on steel.......as in tinned cans), can be rather brittle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_silver

http://www.pewters.net/What-is-Pewter/Britannia-Metal-History.htm

CC Hunter
thanks CC, great info,
I thought they were similar alloys :P
Not even close.
They sound identical when hunting in two tone mode :laughing9:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good digs Jeff. Those knuckles are a nice relic!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread