Earth’s rotation is slowing down due to melting ice, satellite measurements show

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
EDITORIAL: Well, we are in for it now.

New research has implications for how we keep track of time​

FILE - Icebergs float in a fjord after calving off from glaciers on the Greenland ice sheet in southeastern Greenland, Aug. 3, 2017. The Greenland ice sheet, the second largest body of ice in the world which covers roughly 80 percent of the country, has been melting and its glaciers retreating at an accelerated pace in recent years due to warmer temperatures. If all of that ice melts, sea levels will rise by several meters, though there will be regional differences. (AP Photo/David Goldman, File)

FILE - Icebergs float in a fjord after calving off from glaciers on the Greenland ice sheet in southeastern Greenland, Aug. 3, 2017. The Greenland ice sheet, the second largest body of ice in the world which covers roughly 80 percent of the country, has been melting and its glaciers retreating at an accelerated pace in recent years due to warmer temperatures. If all of that ice melts, sea levels will rise by several meters, though there will be regional differences. (AP Photo/David Goldman, File) (David Goldman, Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)

The Earth’s rotation isn’t always constant, leading to the need for adjustments in our clocks. Recent satellite measurements reveal that the Earth’s rotation is slowing down faster than before due to melting ice in places like Greenland and Antarctica.

This slowdown affects the Earth’s core and its overall rotation speed.

A new scientific paper highlighted how these changes complicate our timekeeping system called Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), especially in the face of climate change.
Since 1972, timekeepers have had to add “leap seconds” 27 times to keep up with the pace. However, there may be a need to reduce leap seconds in the coming years as the Earth slows from various factors, including the redistribution of mass and influences by the planet’s axial wobble.

The moon is known to slow the Earth’s rotation since it is receding from Earth about 1.49 inches per year.

But new research using satellite measurements shows melting ice, particularly from regions like the Canadian Arctic and Fennoscandia, affects the Earth’s rotation in multiple ways. When ice melts from polar regions, water is redistributed, causing shifts in the Earth’s mass distribution, and impacting its rotation.

According to Duncan Carr Agnew, the report’s author, if these trends continue, significant changes to UTC may be necessary by 2029 due to the Earth’s slowing spin. This highlights how global warming not only impacts the environment but also affects our timekeeping systems.

Source:
https://www.news4jax.com/weather/20...e-to-melting-ice-satellite-measurements-show/
Mark Collins, Meteorologist

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Time is not a constant, but a variable, and depends entirely on the frame of reference of the observer.

Am I the only one that read the Theory of Relativity?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
🤔......so....good news for people with vertigo then!?

Oh how I wish.....if only..
sSig_aaarggh.gif

Vertigo is a disagreement between your inner ear and the vestibular nerve from that ear to the brain. The vertigo is the brain having a hissy fit trying to make sense of the gibberish the inner ear is telling it.

As one who has experienced it far too many times, vertigo sucks beyond description...
scream.gif
green.gif
green.gif

So, that said, the short answer is NO, the Earth is still spinning around 1,000 mph., so losing a millisecond won't make a bit of difference.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now, correct me if I am wrong, but I think the melting of ice has happened before, narrowing it done to the last several million years, and there have been a couple of re-freezes? perhaps? If the earth's rotation IS slowing down, all I know that on my level, being in my 70's, is that time seems to be really speeding up!

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Earth probably is slowing down, but it is a natural thing. The scientist are just finding this out and they need to blame something. There are also cycles that come and go over the eons. As far as time goes man has only been here a couple of seconds and already he knows everything!

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh how I wish.....if only.. View attachment 2140330

Vertigo is a disagreement between your inner ear and the vestibular nerve from that ear to the brain. The vertigo is the brain having a hissy fit trying to make sense of the gibberish the inner ear is telling it.

As one who has experienced it far too many times, vertigo sucks beyond description... View attachment 2140331 View attachment 2140332 View attachment 2140332

So, that said, the short answer is NO, the Earth is still spinning around 1,000 mph., so losing a millisecond won't make a bit of difference.
Sounds like Ex wife syndrone!

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Oh how I wish.....if only.. View attachment 2140330

As one who has experienced it far too many times, vertigo sucks beyond description... View attachment 2140331 View attachment 2140332 View attachment 2140332

Sorry to hear you have it, must drive you mad.

Yeah, that was my dry Aus humour. It falls flat quite often. Sorry it offended.
I'll dial it back 👍

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No worries Chilli...not offended in any way...:icon_thumright:

I have Meniere's Disease, and vertigo is just part of the "benefits" it brings.

qtrs-xcite-me

Mar 28, 2022
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
So your post is very interesting. The local paper in yesterday's edition had an article about how the trend had been for the earths rotation to slow, but in reality over the last few years it has actually sped up to the point they believe in about 5 years they will have to do a "skip second" to get back in sync.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
The cult of Henny penny the sky is falling in.

Panic sells. Panic gets funding for other wise useless departments in universities. All part of the panic industry they have infiltrated the science industry creating confirmational bias.

Its the you beaut excuse for everything! I did not pay my taxes. its global warming. I beat my wife blame global warming. I got drunk and fell over. Global warming I robbed a seven eleven. The effect of global warming.

Well we will have more kids super gluing themselves to the road. And few more kids with mental breakdowns and killing themselves.

Some of us old farts are old enough to remember the very same universities selling this same crap in the 1970's except it was not global warming? it was ice age. when they did not appear to happen. They switched to global warming.

Are they the universities and the media ever going to put their hand up and take responsibly for promoting this doomsday cult that is responsible thousand of suicides around the world.

Crow

TDogger

Jan 22, 2016
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Freedom III, Garrett ADS Groundhog
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's easy to blame the Earth's rotation slowdown on climate change, but the rotation has been slowing for billions of years.

For billions of years, Earth’s rotation has been gradually slowing down. It’s a process that continues to this day, and estimates suggest that the length of a day currently increases by about 1.8 milliseconds every century. The day's length varies slightly from year to year, as well; the result of myriad forces both on and off Earth pushing and pulling at its rotation.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Losing the time was never a problem...it was figuring out where I was at, where my clothes were, and who that naked girl was sleeping beside me!
moose.gif

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Losing the time was never a problem...it was figuring out where I was at, where my clothes were, and who that naked girl was sleeping beside me! View attachment 2141016
my case was waking next a BEAUTIFUL girl that I saw through my beer goggles the night before turned out to be as ugly as a hat full of ass holes!

Crow:laughing7:
:tongue3:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Losing the time was never a problem...it was figuring out where I was at, where my clothes were, and who that naked girl was sleeping beside me! View attachment 2141016
My problem was I lost time and the naked girl beside me let me know that I wandered out buck naked sleepwalking for an hour or so in the middle of the night....right in the center of town as well. Still wonder to this day what I was up to, and how I wasn't arrested and put on a list, and how I found my way back to her bed after all of that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions