Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out over the Easter weekend and gave my new XP Deus a good test on circa 1795-1830 tavern site that I have pounded pretty hard over the last few years with the F75 and AT Gold. I was using the Pitch program on the Deus and was able to pull out some deep buttons and coins from this cultivated field. The coppers are usually pretty toasted from this site, but the 1807 LC is about as nice as they get here and the New Jersey is at least identifiable. In addition to the large tombac and large dandy, I got another button that had some undistinguishable writing around the edge and what looked like a harp with a crown in the middle. I posted it on a Facebook group and eventually got a “probable” ID — a circa 1815-1825 Limerick Merchants button. The Limerick Merchants were basically the Limerick, Ireland Chamber of Commerce, founded in 1807 and chartered by King George III in 1815.

Here are the relics and coins I was able to pull out of the soybean stubble.
All.JPG

The two coppers
Coppers F.JPG

Can't see much on the back of the New Jersey, but Don in SJ believes it is a Maris 66
Coppers B.JPG

Here is the interesting button. Too bad ground action took it's toll.
Limerick.JPG

Here it is alongside the possible suspected actual button
Side by Side.jpg

EDIT: I am now having second thoughts about the ID on this button. The letters I can make out just don't appear in LIMERICK MERCHANTS. Here is a better pic of some of the lower letters.

DSCN3264.JPG

And finally, here are some dirt shots for those that like them.

New Jersey
Dirt NJ.jpg

Draped Bust
Dirt DB.jpg

Tombac
Dirt tombac.jpg

Dandy
Dirt Dandy.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 21
Wow Steve! Not bad for a pounded site. I am still trying to convince myself that my 75 is as good as a DEUS, becoming harder and harder. Nice digs.

Wow Steve! Not bad for a pounded site. I am still trying to convince myself that my 75 is as good as a DEUS, becoming harder and harder. Nice digs.
Evan,

I believe that I could go to a site that I pounded with a Deus and pull stuff out with an F75. Differences between machines can make the difference on certain targets. But I am becoming more confident with the Deus even though I am still at a 2nd Grade level.

Good digs!!

If that's what you got from a pounded site, I bet you're glad you got that new hammer.

DCMatt

Evan,

I believe that I could go to a site that I pounded with a Deus and pull stuff out with an F75. Differences between machines can make the difference on certain targets. But I am becoming more confident with the Deus even though I am still at a 2nd Grade level.

I agree completely. I found my hammered silver penny at a spot I had gone over many times with the Deus. It't not that one is better than the other, its the slight differences that are important at those heavily hunted sites.

Nice coin shots in the dirt. I like them dirty girls! Hey Steve, great day man. You're DB is quite a looker and I'm glad you have some good definition left on that NJ. Looks like a good ID on that button, very interesting.

Congrats

Great hunt Steve! Hope I get a NJ down here one day... found a CT and that's even farther north than NJ. ha Awesome coppers and really cool button man. I have the T2SE and Deus now and noticed a similar result when I got the Deus. I haven't tried the pitch program yet, but now I will have to.

That's quite a big pile of stuff for a pounded site Steve. I'm sure you'd like to think it's the machine, but as you know, many factors are in play. But returning to a site and hitting it with a different machine will almost always produce a few finds. And sometimes we're guilty of simply missing obvious targets. You'd be surprised how much ground you actually don't pass your coil over even when tightly gridding, especially on the edges against crop stubble. Nice hunt!

Great hunt Steve! Hope I get a NJ down here one day... found a CT and that's even farther north than NJ. ha Awesome coppers and really cool button man. I have the T2SE and Deus now and noticed a similar result when I got the Deus. I haven't tried the pitch program yet, but now I will have to.
Brad, I have far more Connecticuts than any other state copper, at least a dozen. Then I have 6 New Jersey, 5 Virginia, and 3 Vermont. I have never found one of the other coppers like a Fugio or a Nova.

That's quite a big pile of stuff for a pounded site Steve. I'm sure you'd like to think it's the machine, but as you know, many factors are in play. But returning to a site and hitting it with a different machine will almost always produce a few finds. And sometimes we're guilty of simply missing obvious targets. You'd be surprised how much ground you actually don't pass your coil over even when tightly gridding, especially on the edges against crop stubble. Nice hunt!
Thanks Bill. Like you say many factors are at work, including the angle of approach and just the fact that they stirred the dirt up a bit to plant the beans means that an inch or two of dirt was removed or eroded and that can make a difference on these deeper targets.

Congrats on some very nice finds Steve. Glad the site produced for you again.

Wow very nice result bud. I just hit this site that I've pounded with the 5" coil and the 12". I used the new 12x15 SEF and pulled the billon and pewter button. It's so hard to truly know all of the factors at work. Here's what I say: if you have an old site that's been good to you in the past keep going back. That one stunner may yet show itself. You just never ever know my friend. I do know this....if a rev war regiment button or a chain cent or a Mass silver is hiding at one of my sites....I damn well want to be the one to find it 8-)

Go ahead and buy one Evan so I can try one out some more when I see you [emoji1]

That button is really cool Steve. Were the good targets in really thick iron?

That button is really cool Steve. Were the good targets in really thick iron?[/QUOTE

Joey, if I turn the disc down on my F75 to about 3 I can really hear the small iron popping in the area where the house must have stood, which is where I was concentrating. But I am at the point with this site that I am investigating every positive signal, even if I only get a good sound or number on every 3rd or 4th pass over. I would never have investigated most of these targets if I was getting enough "no brainer" signals.

Last edited:
Wow very nice result bud. I just hit this site that I've pounded with the 5" coil and the 12". I used the new 12x15 SEF and pulled the billon and pewter button. It's so hard to truly know all of the factors at work. Here's what I say: if you have an old site that's been good to you in the past keep going back. That one stunner may yet show itself. You just never ever know my friend. I do know this....if a rev war regiment button or a chain cent or a Mass silver is hiding at one of my sites....I damn well want to be the one to find it 8-)
Abe, I have pulled 14 Spanish, a Draped Bust Dime, a Capped Bust half dime, and over 50 coppers from this site. So you can bet I will keep working it from every angle and strategy I can come up with!

Abe, I have pulled 14 Spanish, a Draped Bust Dime, a Capped Bust half dime, and over 50 coppers from this site. So you can bet I will keep working it from every angle and strategy I can come up with!

I can't wrap my head around that, or your state copper total. But I enjoy seeing it all and learning. Great work, man!

Apparently I missed a spot !
" Steve in PA " should stay in pa! Lol
Kidding buddy! Nice job ! I love those large copper cents!
HH

Now that's really impressive from one site man. I know what you mean about trying every angle... The site I've been hitting the last year has given 30+ coppers, 5 Spanish and a Capped Bust Half. I know there's more down there, but with grass growing I'll be sitting there for the summer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back