Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out over the Easter weekend and gave my new XP Deus a good test on circa 1795-1830 tavern site that I have pounded pretty hard over the last few years with the F75 and AT Gold. I was using the Pitch program on the Deus and was able to pull out some deep buttons and coins from this cultivated field. The coppers are usually pretty toasted from this site, but the 1807 LC is about as nice as they get here and the New Jersey is at least identifiable. In addition to the large tombac and large dandy, I got another button that had some undistinguishable writing around the edge and what looked like a harp with a crown in the middle. I posted it on a Facebook group and eventually got a “probable” ID — a circa 1815-1825 Limerick Merchants button. The Limerick Merchants were basically the Limerick, Ireland Chamber of Commerce, founded in 1807 and chartered by King George III in 1815.

Here are the relics and coins I was able to pull out of the soybean stubble.
All.JPG

The two coppers
Coppers F.JPG

Can't see much on the back of the New Jersey, but Don in SJ believes it is a Maris 66
Coppers B.JPG

Here is the interesting button. Too bad ground action took it's toll.
Limerick.JPG

Here it is alongside the possible suspected actual button
Side by Side.jpg

EDIT: I am now having second thoughts about the ID on this button. The letters I can make out just don't appear in LIMERICK MERCHANTS. Here is a better pic of some of the lower letters.

DSCN3264.JPG

And finally, here are some dirt shots for those that like them.

New Jersey
Dirt NJ.jpg

Draped Bust
Dirt DB.jpg

Tombac
Dirt tombac.jpg

Dandy
Dirt Dandy.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 21
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
completely unrelated to the fascinating coin finds , theres a small shard of green pottery on the side. I have found several of the same design in royal blue , do you know anything about it ?

Yes. They can date from the 1790s to the 1850s and are a good sign if you are seeing those shards on a site.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good finds Steve. I think you are exactly right about machine differences in the same areas. A friend who allowed me to borrow my first detector told me that things move in the ground by the soil freezing, thawing, droughts, and rain. On one hunt, you might not detect a target at all but let or the ground thaw or get soaked so that your machine catches a side picture in the cone instead of an edge at depth and you wonder how you missed that target! WTG, Q.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's really impressive from one site man. I know what you mean about trying every angle... The site I've been hitting the last year has given 30+ coppers, 5 Spanish and a Capped Bust Half. I know there's more down there, but with grass growing I'll be sitting there for the summer.
Brad, as impressive as this site has been, I have hunted two others that were even more impressive in terms of quantity and quality. These two coin piles are from my top two colonial sites.

Attachments

• Coin piles.jpg
    Coin piles.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 47

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brad, as impressive as this site has been, I have hunted two others that were even more impressive in terms of quantity and quality. These two coin piles are from my top two colonial sites.

Whoa dude!!!! Where are those sites? I need one

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa dude!!!! Where are those sites? I need one

Abe, both of these sites were along early travel routes in western Pennsylvania. Both had forts and taverns and were popular stopping points along the road. I was fortunate to get into them when I did.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, amazing what a different machine can do.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Thanks for the in situ photos! Great post

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done. Nice finds!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good results for sure! And your hunch is right, it's not the same button as there's a big difference in space from the top of the crown to the circle.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good results for sure! And your hunch is right, it's not the same button as there's a big difference in space from the top of the crown to the circle.
I'll probably never know what this button is unless I dig another one in better shape. It's not out of the realm of possibility....

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
I will say this the bottom picture of that button almost looks like a shield with an Eagle head..Kind of like a Civil war button eagle..
But i may be delusional!

~Blaze

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will say this the bottom picture of that button almost looks like a shield with an Eagle head..Kind of like a Civil war button eagle..
But i may be delusional!

~Blaze
I think your eyes are playing tricks on you JohnnyBoy :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread