Eastern Oregon 256 silver dollars cache found about 1970

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
On p. 12 of A. T. Evans' Treasure Hunters' Yearbook 1970- '71 is a photo of a cache and location. Caption reads: "A cache of 256 silver dollars and a number of smaller coins, discovered in eastern Oregon. Coins date from 1856 to 1900. the finder was using a White's Model 68TR Treasuremaster and a 1970 Garrett Hunter. He had no idea the loot was there, but was making a random search for bottles and lost coins. The cache was covered with six inches of dirt. (Photo courtesy of Duane Alderman.)" I don't think a 1970 Garrett Hunter detector would have been available much earlier than 1970. The copyright of this publication was 1971. So this cache was probably found in either 1970 or 1971, don't you think?

An interesting feature of this photo is the trees in the background. I am fairly good identifying trees species. The trees in this photo are especially important for identifying early farm or home sites anywhere in Oregon. The trees are Honey Locust. This tree grows rapidly, has very hard wood, and makes wonderful fence posts that are nearly impervious to rot.

jtomlinson

Jan 3, 2013
Newport
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75, Garret pro pointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that would have been great to find.

bass99

May 9, 2005
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used