eBay find: 14K jewelry set

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm assuming that these type of posts belong in the "All things eBay" subcategory, but I'll be the first to walk the line to find out. :P

I "re-bay" quite often and every now and then I'll find a great bargain. This particular purchase cost me $52 shipped. It appeared under "fine jewelry", but for the low asking price I was suspicious of it being genuine to say the least. I've taken gambles on items that SHOULD be genuine (as per the eBay listing category policy) in the past and have won some and lost some. I always make sure that if I feel I am taking a "risk" that it is the seller at fault for listing the item improperly (ex. 14K GP as 14K in Fine Jewelry category). A lot of times I feel this way because the seller vaguely described the item or it seems like a "too good to be true price". In this case it was the latter.

IMG_2500.JPG

So this jewelry set was listed as fine jewelry and 14K with fairly sizeable amethysts. Upon arriving, I found that the pieces are in excellent condition and are genuine 14K. Now that I'm able to relax, I can start tallying up the potential earnings.

Being as most of the pieces are attached to fairly large stones, I figured I'd start out by weighing the box chain without the pendant. The total weight comes out to be 2.6 grams. *dances* The chain by itself more than pays for the price of the whole set as it is worth about $63 in scrap.

The rest of the pieces are weighed down with amethysts and have small diamond accents, but I'll break them down by weight regardless.

The pendant comes out to be 2.9 grams. The earrings with 14K backs come out to 2.4. And last, but certainly not least, the ring, which weighs in at 4.4 grams.

IMG_2501.JPG
IMG_2502.JPG
IMG_2503.JPG

If I were to assume that even 1/4 of the weight is gold for the items with stones, that would come out to about 2.4 grams, or $58 in scrap. That combined with the 2.6 gram chain brings in a grand total of approximately $121 in 14K scrap for only $52. However, I don't often play the scrap game and this clearly will be no exception. Now I have no idea what value to place on these pieces as a whole, but I do know I will not list this lot for under $250. I've found that box chains with pendants can sell quite well ($100-$180). The ring itself I'd expect to go for at least $100. Then there are the earrings.. maybe another $50 or more. Combined together that should bring about $250-$300+ to the right buyer. I may have to break the set up the reach that price range, though.

Anyone have any suggestions or previous dealings with pieces of this nature? I've never dealt with large stone jewelry before and could use feedback as to if large amethysts command much value. As always, your feedback is appreciated.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you confident the amethysts are real? If they are then that is a very nice find. They should sell very well. Sell separately. Check completed listings for 14k pear amethyst ring. The ring alone should sell for BIN at $200 or more if actual amethyst. BTW- That box doesn't go to it.

Last edited:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Hoping you will post your results on this deal. Very interested to see final sale prices AND how long it takes to sell.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you confident the amethysts are real? If they are then that is a very nice find. They should sell very well. Sell separately. Check completed listings for 14k pear amethyst ring. The ring alone should sell for BIN at $200 or more if actual amethyst. BTW- That box doesn't go to it.

I'm not positive that the stones are genuine, but I don't think that I've encountered synthetic ones before. I will be swinging by a jewelers on Friday anyway, so I will find out then. I was curious about the box that the ring was in. I tried to look up that name in regards to what I had and couldn't find anything.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoping you will post your results on this deal. Very interested to see final sale prices AND how long it takes to sell.

I will post the results, but being as I don't have a solid price in mind, I may shoot for the moon on this one. Selling it as a set for 300 - 400 (assuming stones are real) will take longer than selling the pieces individually. I'm more of a "slow dime" than a "fast nickel".

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a total "win". You got lucky as a LOT of people play the same game. Congrats!!!

Thanks! I know I got lucky here and I'm not even sure why no one else spotted it. Listing was titled something like amethysts set in 14K gold jewelry set. Nothing out of the ordinary and fairly straight forward, I thought. I've never seen, however, a listing where the price is posted incorrectly by accident. Then again, I don't really look for those listings in particular and if I had come across one, I'd assume the "$19.00" BIN that was meant to be a "$190.00" is in auction format. I first look at the picture and then the price and then the format.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I found a few comparable rings at the pawn shop today. I remember one was priced $140. I believe theirs were more "brilliant" cut than mine.. might have been the lighting, though. Anxious to find out about the stones!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not positive that the stones are genuine, but I don't think that I've encountered synthetic ones before. I will be swinging by a jewelers on Friday anyway, so I will find out then. I was curious about the box that the ring was in. I tried to look up that name in regards to what I had and couldn't find anything.

All you needed to do, was to look back from where you purchased it!

tara vanessa ring | eBay

Frank

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All you needed to do, was to look back from where you purchased it!

tara vanessa ring | eBay

Frank

I'm not sure I follow you. I see that there is a simulated topaz ring set in 10 KT gold that is listed there, but that is the only thing anywhere near what I have. However, mine is amethyst in 14KT gold. I could make the assumption that all stones used by "Tara Vanessa", regardless of gold karat, are simulated.

diggummup seemed to believe that the box doesn't go to the ring. I'm not sure that it does or does not, but I'll have to research "Tara Vanessa" more to find out. All I know is I have been unable to find any jewelry set or individual pieces (earrings, ring, or pendant necklace) by Tara Vanessa so far.

edit:

The ebay listing for the simulated topaz 10K ring does appear to be in a Tara Vanessa box and is where they are claiming it came from. Perhaps it really could be from there..?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tara-Vaness...t=Vintage_Costume_Jewelry&hash=item1e86b64efe

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found a place to look at some Tara Vanessa jewelry and it claims it is only available on board cruise ships. It also only lists sterling or 18KT over sterling pieces as far as fine jewelry goes. Everything else does appear to be costume. No mention of gold anywhere.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/SigCatalogue.pdf

edit: Just skimmed through google images. Still nothing yet that points to any sort of solid gold items by Tara Vanessa. Only that one blue topaz ring showed up again - same ebay listing. Can't find a homepage or outlet that sells the jewelry, either. However, if anyone needs any Tara pearl jewelry, let me know - I've found plenty.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You won't find any real gold jewelry made by Tara Vanessa. I don't care what that ebay listing says. Thanks for the holland america link though. Right below the Tara stuff is the Jacqueline Kennedy Collection. I have several pieces of that Camrose & Kross stuff.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You won't find any real gold jewelry made by Tara Vanessa. I don't care what that ebay listing says. Thanks for the holland america link though. Right below the Tara stuff is the Jacqueline Kennedy Collection. I have several pieces of that Camrose & Kross stuff.

Well Tara Vanessa or not, I do have a 14K ring with a genuine or simulated amethyst stone. And at the end of the day, that's all that matters. :)

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright so here is an update on the set.

I took it all to a local jeweler who runs his own custom jewelry shop. He confirmed the stones, gold, etc are genuine. I spoke with him about consigning the pieces as he has a steady customer base and would possibly be able to get me more than eBay- even after his 30% commission. We came up with an asking price of $800 and going as low as $500 before the split. Should be about $300-500 for me.. should it sell.

Also, I should mention that I swapped out the box chain it came with for a finer, lighter chain. Box chains have sold decently well for me in the past with and without pendants. This one is about $60 in scrap whereas the replacement is under $30.

I also told him I'd allow breaking the set up, but wouldn't be willing to negotiate on the individual pieces below my asking price for each.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright so here is an update on the set.

I took it all to a local jeweler who runs his own custom jewelry shop. He confirmed the stones, gold, etc are genuine. I spoke with him about consigning the pieces as he has a steady customer base and would possibly be able to get me more than eBay- even after his 30% commission. We came up with an asking price of $800 and going as low as $500 before the split. Should be about $300-500 for me.. should it sell.

Also, I should mention that I swapped out the box chain it came with for a finer, lighter chain. Box chains have sold decently well for me in the past with and without pendants. This one is about $60 in scrap whereas the replacement is under $30.

I also told him I'd allow breaking the set up, but wouldn't be willing to negotiate on the individual pieces below my asking price for each.
Tried to tell ya, lol. Congrats on the real amethysts and the jeweler consignment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread