It appears to be some sort of replica of a brass plate (i.e., page) from a book of the antiquities. If you Google brass plate books you will see many examples that have the holes in similar places as yours does, for the purpose of binding -- sometimes with brass loops, other times with tied cords or wires.
I mean, I'm calling it a replica here based on where you found it and the fact that the language does not look authentic.. but if you really want to know if it is real, send an e-mail to BYU -- because they will have experts on the authentication of metal plate book pages. If this is a replica, I'm guessing there's a good chance they will be familiar with other copies of this same piece and be able to tell you right away, "yeah, it's a toy from the 1940s" or something like that. However, if it might be real, it is something they'd probably fall over themselves to authenticate for you as they have a particular interest in the idea of "Egyptian" being used in the Americas many thousands of years ago. Who knows, you may have just discovered the first hard evidence that the Mormons were right all along!
I doubt it's real, but you do owe it to yourself to have it checked out, provided that this is something you dug up and not something you purchased -- there are lots of fake brass books out there on the internet being sold out of Middle Eastern countries. They have been artificially aged to look much like your piece does now. These make their way to the states occasionally and I've seen people ask about them before.
If it's real, well.. that could have some implications. Fun to think about.
Also, I could be totally wrong and it could be a swanky book cover from a songbook from 1867 or something.
All the best.
-mcl