Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
NEW TODAY: 6-05-06

I had to clean the iron knife before having an expert look at it.

It's flat on one side and convex on the other.

Now comes the expensive part where I have to mail it off to be studied.

It appears from the photos to be genuine but I need documentation on it.

These relics were dug not too far from this location:

http://www.mackinacparks.com/

Thanks for looking.

Here's the original post:

Today I decided to try something different. I went to a site I knew had been worked over with heavy equipment. About 10 years ago they scraped and leveled this whole area.

The site is located in the Upper part of the lower Peninsula of Michigan and is near the two Great Lakes. This area was frequented by early french trappers and traders more than 200-300 years ago.

So when I arrived I looked out over the area and I got this feeling that I should start hunting in one particular spot. So I walked over there and stated digging foil. I dug a foil fruit juice packet some 8 inches deep!

I walked about another 8 feet and I get this giant iron signal. I almost didn't even dig it but finally I thought what the heck...so I very carelessly dug down only about 4 inches and out pops the blade!

For a split second I thought it was an ancient Copper Culture knife but then I realized they're green...not brown. This knife is iron.

As I looked at it I got excited again to see it's very old! It's flat on one side and curved out on the other. I've seen these old knives before and I'm about 80% sure this is an early fur trader knife or it's at least from that era (ca. 1650-1850's).

I was so stoked that I left the spot without checking the area around where I dug the knife. I remembered and went back and about 1 foot from where I dug the blade I dug this iron ball which I believe to be a canon grapeshot.

Thanks for reading all this...

Badger

Photos removed to save space 6-17-06

Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: FOUND 200 Year Old Knife And BALL ? Maybe?

Nice finds MB! Maybe the ball is some kind of grape shot, usually lead though or a small cannon ball. HH, Mike

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice stuff,I think the ball is grapshot. :) Nice.

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.

BADGER, Looks Like Grape Shot To Me, Nice Old Knife Too, Sounds Like You Have A Great Site There, Congrats. trk5capt...

Attachments

• skirmish site.jpg
    skirmish site.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 974
  • sideknife.jpg
    sideknife.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 975
  • skirmish site.jpg
    skirmish site.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 973

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Really cool finds Badger! That area up there needs some serious detecting...Now get back to work!

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

trk5capt said:
BADGER, Looks Like Grape Shot To Me, Nice Old Knife Too, Sounds Like You Have A Great Site There, Congrats. trk5capt...

Thanks. I can't figure out why I never thought about this before? I think I've just been stuck in a non-ferrous mindset or something. Man, some of the coolest stuff is iron.

And also, I hunted not far from here a year ago and I threw away a knife I dug that looked much like the one in your picture! I thought it was just a crapy knife from maybe the 60's...LOL! I've got to go back and find it.

It's funny, living in Michigan makes you think you're never going to find anything really old. So when you find it, you don't even see it.

I need to locate an expert to look at the blade. I'm now about 95% sure it's a Trade Knife. It makes sense because the area I'm hunting is very near where an original Indian village was located 200+ years ago.

Thanks!

Badger

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

gypsyheart said:
Really cool finds Badger! That area up there needs some serious detecting...Now get back to work!

You are right about that....gypsy! I'll get back to it as soon as work allows.

One thing that's sad, when they leveled this area they also laid asphalt (big parking lot) :'( Today about 95% of the original area is under something. :'(

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice finds, Badger. :)

Grape shot and an old knife blade are awesome finds. Are you going back?

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000

Nice finds Badger.Ive longed to spend some QT in that general area.There is such a rich history of trading , religion , and military presence in the area, there has to be awesome finds yet to be discovered.Great job...thanks for sharing...Joe

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Yes, I would say they are really old... Nice ...I like to find a cannon ball!

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

Hi Badger

You find some of the most amazing relics. It's an inspiration to this TH'er. Hope you can dig more good stuff from this site, sounds like a good one for sure. WTG!!

BTW.. I went back and read your post about your "gold coin quantities lost" theory that you refered to in a thread of mine. That was a great posting too. Thanks for the tip it was out there. Interesting stuff my friend!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Boobydoo said:
Hi Badger

You find some of the most amazing relics. It's an inspiration to this TH'er. Hope you can dig more good stuff from this site, sounds like a good one for sure. WTG!!

BTW.. I went back and read your post about your "gold coin quantities lost" theory that you referred to in a thread of mine. That was a great posting too. Thanks for the tip it was out there. Interesting stuff my friend!

Smiles!
BDoo

Thanks good buddy!

Take care and go dig another gold coin--now that inspires!

Badger

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Mona Lisa said:
Nice finds, Badger. :)

Grape shot and an old knife blade are awesome finds. Are you going back?

You bet Mona. Maybe I'll be able to get to it Thursday afternoon. I'm swamped in work until then.

The big problem is I need to take a jackhammer and remove some of that nasty concrete and asphalt some idiot laid over my THing territory! ;D

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

jopher said:
Nice finds Badger.Ive longed to spend some QT in that general area.There is such a rich history of trading , religion , and military presence in the area, there has to be awesome finds yet to be discovered.Great job...thanks for sharing...Joe

Yes, you're right, jopher. There's plenty of great historical stuff out there but we're losing rapidly every day via land development :'(

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

....it could be, but maybe not...

HH
-gc

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

cool relics badge!

cylki2001

Greenie
May 3, 2006
Holt, Michigan

You give me hope that maybe someday I'll actually find something. I guess I need to get up north more and find some of those good spots too. I'l hate to have to leave Michigan to TH. ;D

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

cylki2001 said:
You give me hope that maybe someday I'll actually find something. I guess I need to get up north more and find some of those good spots too. I'l hate to have to leave Michigan to TH. ;D

There's good stuff to be found all over this state and all the others. Spend some time doing research or just go to the local coffee shops and have talks with the locals.

Look around your town for the oldest sites those that have seen the least development. Also get on those sites where you see major construction. When they scrape the land to level it, get permission and hunt that spot when the crew is gone for the day.

You would be totally shocked at what's in the ground right in your own neighborhood.

HH

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread