electrolysis cleaing question

bigcypresshunter said:
Cant you use a cellphone or other common AC to DC adapter?

I second the motion. No matter where you are, you have to have some devices that run off of rechargable batteries, or can run on batter/ac power. Things like cell phones, "walkman" style stereos, etc. All of these small devices use ac adaptors. (Heck, I KNOW you have modems there, and I do know that U.S. Robotics modems can have a 220vac adaptor!) Use one of these small-device adaptors, cut off the plug end (that goes into the device) and make sure which wire is negative (if I recall correctly, it's usually red.) This will give you a low voltage (anywhere from 6 to 12 vdc) at less than one amp. This will give you more control and less danger. (Electrolysis does break water down into hydrogen and oxygen. The greater the current, the more the breakdown. The last thing you want is an accumulation of hydrogen, especially if there is the possibility of a spark.)

Something I might add. Do not run this indoors, or open a window.

thanks for the info! Its downstairs in the garage... i didn't think about Hydo gas.. yikes! I did notice an odor, maybe its just me lol :) I will check around and see what I can find. Thank you everyone!

viper771 said:
thanks for the info! Its downstairs in the garage... i didn't think about Hydo gas.. yikes! I did notice an odor, maybe its just me lol :) I will check around and see what I can find. Thank you everyone!

Hydrogen actually has no odor. What you are smelling is probably hydrogen sulfide, a by-product of electrolysis, depending upon the types of corrosion. (Did it smell like rotten eggs?) In any case, that's another gas you don't want hanging around -- if it gets near water (unavoidable in this case) it will form hydrosulphuric acid, something you definitely don't want to inhale. If it's in your garage, make sure it's well ventilated -- have the big door open, and maybe even a ventilating fan. Don't take chances.

YIKES! I didn't remember reading about all these dangers in electrolysis. Its kind of a refreshing smell to me.. maybe it can be a rotten egg smell? At any rate, its working GREAT on the gun barrels! I have to do a half at a time since my tub isn't long enough for the whole thing. I wire brushed the black stuff off, and there is nice shiney metal under it!!! I have so much to clean lol! Thanks for all the info everyone!

Well viper, you sure got the feedback here. Good thing I didn't know all these things years ago when I started my coin and relic business. I probably never would have started it ;D

I just love TN humor. ;D

Just cleaned my 3000th relic using electrolysis (or is it 4000th?).

Anyway, once you get into this it's almost as much fun as finding the goodies. I just brought back another load of fresh dug relics from one of my lumber camps. Now more fun begins! ;)

Best,

Badger

I think cleaning the black stuff off is a LOT of work! I bought a drill today, and a stripper head to help with the work. I got tired of the wire brush poking into my fingertips! I am going to post some picts of my cleaned up stuff. I was VERY surprised at the results. even my really old arty shell casings that looked like CRAP are looking great! Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back