electrolysis

JCinNJ

Jan 25, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Works great for those "uncleaned" roman coins you can get on EBAY, beach finds, heavily corroded items etc.
All you need is a low voltage transformer, two alligator clips, a glass or plastic container, water, an electrolyte (salt, baking soda, lemon juice etc.) a stainless steel spoon and you are ready to go. Solder or twist each wire onto an alligator clip, fill your container with water and electrolyte, attach one clip to the anode (spoon or carbon brush) and one to the item to be cleaned (cathode) and plug it in. Lower voltage transformers will take longer but are less apt to damage an item. I use a 9 volt. Be careful not to have the anode and cathode touch while plugged in or you will trash the transformer. You can even use a car battery charger in a bigger setup to clean much larger items.

The most important things to know are that the coin or the object to be cleaned should be the one fizzing once you plug it it. This should be done either outdoors or in a well ventilated area as the process releases oxygen and hydrogen (think Hindenburg) and the process does release heavy metals into the water so if you are going to do it on a regular basis, a much more eco friendly way to do this is by using carbon brushes. Check out Tom Ross' setup here. He does twenty items at a time.

http://tomross.ancients.info/Electrolysis/Carbon Electrode Zapper.htm

I really don't know much more than that but it works, it's fun and it's neat.

Warning! Do not use on a coin you may think is valuable. It works great on silver but apparently may occasionally leave microscopic bubble on the surface. Still, it will leave it better looking than baking soda or toothpaste without the scratches. It will strip the patina off a copper coin so I only use it on those that are so encrusted with corrosion that you can't identify or read the dates. I discovered I had a couple of IHs with dates that I thought were Lincolns using this process.

Also, do this at your own risk and I strongly suggest you read up on the process before proceeding.

HH

- joe

Good advice. Just remember not to turn the volltage up too high and get into too big a hurry or you can do more harm than good. Monty

Does the positive go to the relic or the other?
Will 12v be too much?
I understand relic becomes like the "sacrificial zinc" used in boats in saltwater
but am not sure of polarity.

Negative to the relic. Otherwise you'd be electrolpating more on top of the corrosion/oxides.

I've been playing around with Borax and it does pretty well with a 12v DC, 1500ma power supply. Jury is still out as I think the Arm & Hammer Washing Soda does a better job cleaning silver, but the borax seems milder if left run longer.

Might also should be mentioned that if you use a stainless steel cathode the gas released is toxic - but in very small quantities.

http://users.eastlink.ca/~pspencer/nsaeta/electrolysis.html

What types of metals have you tried washing soda on?

I used to use a salvaged Variable power supply for CB & Ham radios. Worked good.

Also a bit off topic but if you have a lot of paint varnish type stuff. Try dropping it in a crock pot or similar.

I am going to build me one of those carbon zappers.....I appreciate the sharing of knowledge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back