Favorite digging tool?

I can't ever find tools off the shelf that preform outstanding so I fab most of my my diggers myself. I have made picks, diggen hoes / shovels and probes. Here is a pick I'm finishing up . It's 12"long ,2.5" wide and made out of 3/8 tempered steel. It will soon have a 24" wood handle.

Attachments

• DSC00159 (Small).JPG
    DSC00159 (Small).JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 3,045
My Knife!.jpg

I bought one of these 15 years ago at an auction and ended up with paying 8 bucks.  It didn't look that well made, so I wasn't expecting much at the time.  But since my last diggin' knife had snapped on me--almost taking my hand with it!!--I knew I had to get a new one.  I still own this knife, and I use it for every hunt I don't use a shovel on.  I removed the little snapping piece of faux leather from the the top of the sheath so that I could easily slide the knife down into it.  It's a little dull know, but it still cuts ground like a champ (and it could be sharpened if needed).  This knife will withstand anything--I've levered rocks the size of my head out of holes with it, and it has never bent or threatened to break.  I usually keep mine in its sheath wrapped up in a small plastic dollar-store green bathmat (which I use to put loose dirt on and kneel on).  This keeps folks from getting too scared of my 17 inch long diggin tool when they see me approach.  :)  I swear by this thing, and I was glad to be able to find one online.  Not too expensive for a great digging knife, although the shipping is 8 bucks, which brings the total price to around $25.  I still think it's worth every penny.  Here's the photo and the link below.  They seem to be fairly common knives.  My buddy bought one at a junk store brand new with the sheath for 7 bucks. 

http://www.freewebs.com/knivesgalore/huntingknives.html

Attachments

• My Knife!.jpg
    My Knife!.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 3,037
For the beach I have a Beachmaster 1 Qt with an adjustable handle. I have beaten the heck out of it for about seven years and it's still going strong. There are times I wish I had the two Qt. and when if this one ever dies I may get the larger version. I have even used it in vacant, graveled lots and grass. It will create a plug but you can't go more than three inches tops but often that is enough.

Sometimes I borrow the wife's garden trowel too but don't tell her. :wink:

HH

- joe

I too am a MightyAP fan. You can't buy one of his tools although he should sell them. He makes them up for his Tnet "friends" for no charge. Kinda' like a hobby thing for him I suppose? I hope he is back on his feet soon and gets back into MDing. I miss his posts a lot. I hope he knows any number of his Tnet friends are willing and able to lend a hand if he is in need. But back to favorite tool. What I like is the weight and heft of his tools. They aere easy to get into even hard ground and make digging plugs much easier. It is wide enough that It takes fewer cuts to get a plug loose and will saw through a pretty good sized root that might get in the way , plus there's just about no way you could bent it. Like that popular expensive tool the blade is offset just enough to allow you to see what you are cutting and the leverage you can get is amazing. Yes, Mighty AP's digging tool has no equal. Monty

I use the Lesche \Whites digging tool. I really like it. It's sharp, cuts a neat plug, cuts roots, and has a sheath so I can carry it on my belt. Could be used for self protection also. ;)

Boyztoyz do come in handy on big digs. :thumbsup:

Digger.jpg

I have a Mighty AP digger...love it! :love2:

boyz toyz (2).jpg

Another favorite I like to use in shells/gravel to scrape :icon_thumright:

ap\'s digger (2).jpg

I have others I use too, depending on the ground conditions...survivors knife or stainless steel kitchen knife.

:wink: RR

Attachments

• Digger.jpg
    Digger.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 3,634
My Trans-Mississippi Digger. I like the Lesche, too.

Contact "Terry" at Trans-Mississippi Electronics 918.832.8064 (was $29 last year)

Attachments

• trans Miss Digger 2.jpg
    trans Miss Digger 2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 2,774
  • Trans Miss Digger 3.jpg
    Trans Miss Digger 3.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 2,743
  • Trans Miss Digger 4.jpg
    Trans Miss Digger 4.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,814
  • Trans Miss Digger 1.jpg
    Trans Miss Digger 1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 2,872
  • Trans Miss Digger 3.jpg
    Trans Miss Digger 3.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 2,723
  • trans Miss Digger 2.jpg
    trans Miss Digger 2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 2,720
  • Trans Miss Digger 4.jpg
    Trans Miss Digger 4.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,741
  • Trans Miss Digger 1.jpg
    Trans Miss Digger 1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 2,919
Three jabs - front & each side - then flip the plug. I go about 4" down with the initial jabs and the plug levers out easy. You don't want too much or the tool may scrape across the coin. Just levering the sod will usually bring up 3" of dirt under it from the roots & dirt-stick-togetherness. Then four jabs (if deeper is needed) and pop the "loaf" of dirt out. That takes you down to 7". From there it's just repeating the jabs. To go deeper than 8" just jab beside the original flap and roll it further open to allow the handle down into the hole. The flat nose seems to make it easier to keep the dirt intact and either pull or lever it out. It's got enough curve so that as you push it compacts the plug towards the center so it lifts easier.

I think this digger is the best thing since fingernails.

And no one ever freaks out at the tot lots from the "Bowie knife" (aka Lesche) in your hand.

I saw this tool posted here a while back. Do you guys know who made it and if they are for sale?

Attachments

• Digging tool3.JPG
    Digging tool3.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 3,100
  • Digging tool4.JPG
    Digging tool4.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 3,824
  • Digging tool7.JPG
    Digging tool7.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 2,624
The first tool I used was the free one I got from Kellyco with my detector. They should not include this, as it actually does them more reputation damage than it does good by giving away a freebie. It broke within an hour.

The second one is a trowel that looked a lot tougher. However it is already starting to rattle, and it will not cut through roots, causing me to leave behind some potential treasures!

I just ordered a Lesche digger from Kellyco. Since this tool is highly recommended, I hope this is one of the only tools I need. However I might add to my arsenal that weird, L shaped digger thing in this forum, as it looks like it cuts a nice neat, clean plug!

stanjam said:
The first tool I used was the free one I got from Kellyco with my detector. They should not include this, as it actually does them more reputation damage than it does good by giving away a freebie. It broke within an hour.

The second one is a trowel that looked a lot tougher. However it is already starting to rattle, and it will not cut through roots, causing me to leave behind some potential treasures!

I just ordered a Lesche digger from Kellyco. Since this tool is highly recommended, I hope this is one of the only tools I need. However I might add to my arsenal that weird, L shaped digger thing in this forum, as it looks like it cuts a nice neat, clean plug!

It does that, but the Lesche M85 is still the better choice in rocky or rooty soil, where you're gonna need a bigger hole probably anyway.

I just reveived a Lesche "Dixie 58 LB" shovel. Zippa-Dee-Doo-Dah! This puppy is a digger! I went out and dug a two foot deep hole (through still frozen soil!) only 6" across to test her out yesterday. Tall enough to serve as a walking support in the bad terrain and the head is relatively small so it's not overkill.

58LB.jpg

Note - don't use acetone to remove the glue from the "Don't dig up cables, dummy" sticker. Removes the paint, too. :nono:

hey goio,yep that APS digger its a workhorse,talk to murph,i don't think he used it since he got his gladiator,maybe trade him for a digging pouch?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back