Elementary School Penny Drive! Bring on the Silver

kbinski

Sep 29, 2008
I am a senior in high school and in charge of a penny drive for an elementary school. Kids scrounge coins around the house and I found some nice coins today. While sorting quickly through a HUGE amount of change I found my very first silver roosevelt dime! I was so stoked. A few minutes later I found three more within ten seconds! I have too many coins to count to do a careful search so I grabbed what I happened to notice. I of course replaced the money 8)

I was so floored by my finds, especially because I hear most of you find about one silver dime per box.

Breakdowns:
6 common wheats
Nickels: 1940, 1940S, 1942, 1948D, 1953D, 1959D
Dimes: 1948 S, 1951S, 1964, 1964D
I also found a Cuba 1915 Diez centavos which is a pretty neat coin and 90% silver!!! size of a dime

Upvote 0
Pictures

Attachments

• Penny drive 1 (Medium).jpg
    Penny drive 1 (Medium).jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 336
Awesome!!! :thumbsup:

kbinski said:
I am a senior in high school and in charge of a penny drive for an elementary school.
Are you in So CA? If so I can lend you my "bank size" coin counter.
billconccs65.jpg

It will be able to count and sort anything those kids throw at you. My daughter is also a Senior. She is interested in coins too, but only to spend them. ;D I guess it is mostly a guy thing. (sorry JL and Kat)

It is good that you younger guys help out in the community. My daughter, Heather, does a lot of volunterering also.

From one high school senior with too much time to another, great finds! neat foreign coin

HH
-GC

Today I picked up 5 more common wheats and three nice jeffersons:46, 55D, and a 59.
Cyberdan- Sweet counter, I sure would love something like that! We have so many pennies we just weigh them to get an estimate so we dont need a counter. We do count the other coins but we have 30 or so people counting. The bank makes the final count and we count for class competitions. Thanks for the nice offer!
-Kyle

cool finds there! nice way to start a collection. now...scrape together some cash, buy yourself a few handrolls (whatever you can afford, really) at your local bank, and a CRH is born! i hate to tell ya this but....this hobby is highly addictive and you may already be a coin roll hunter. keep up the volunter work because one person can make a difference and good luck on your future searches!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back