What's new

Elephant button?????

Merf

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2007
Messages
3,766
Reaction score
2,276
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro, Quest x10 idmaXx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this today about 3 feet from an 1865 IH. It measures 1 inch across.
I can not quite make out the back mark.
Help is appreciated. TIA Merf
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0403.webp
    DSCN0403.webp
    47.9 KB · Views: 300
  • DSCN0407.webp
    DSCN0407.webp
    40.8 KB · Views: 263
??7 Strand
???rims & Co

(London)
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
153 Strand
Firmins & Co

(London)






Thanks Crusader :thumbsup:

What would the date be?
 
Upvote 0
Merf said:
CRUSADER said:
153 Strand
Firmins & Co

(London)


Thanks Crusader :thumbsup:

What would the date be?
No sorry got it wrong, I could see the 'Strand' & figured Firmin & Son but it doesn't fit. I have now ?? the ones I can't see. What letters are behind the shadow?
 
Upvote 0
it looks like the bottom word might be superfine. These have been dug in civil war camps in VA. All the ones I've seen have been British made.
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
it looks like the bottom word might be superfine. These have been dug in civil war camps in VA. All the ones I've seen have been British made.

I'm pretty sure it end '& Co' so can't be superfine
 
Upvote 0
Cru, It looks like something and co at the top or the back (button is upside down in the pic) and superfine at the bottom, to me anyway
Merf can you post another pic of the back so the shadow of the shank isn't covering the firt word. Pleeeeese
The button is made like the 1830's & 40's sportman buttons so I would say it is about that old.
 
Upvote 0
Got it, I think:

WADHAMS & CO. - 1847
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the help guys.
Here are more pics
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0408.webp
    DSCN0408.webp
    30.3 KB · Views: 235
  • DSCN0411.webp
    DSCN0411.webp
    58.7 KB · Views: 238
  • DSCN0412.webp
    DSCN0412.webp
    48.4 KB · Views: 237
  • DSCN0414.webp
    DSCN0414.webp
    21 KB · Views: 240
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
Cru, It looks like something and co at the top or the back (button is upside down in the pic) and superfine at the bottom, to me anyway
Merf can you post another pic of the back so the shadow of the shank isn't covering the firt word. Pleeeeese
The button is made like the 1830's & 40's sportman buttons so I would say it is about that old.

Yeah can see it now:
So the full thing is

*WADHAMS & CO* SUPERFINE
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom