Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even had a tough time coming up with a title for this one. This is one very unusual piece. A buddy found it at a street tearout in a Minnesota river town dating back to the 2nd half of the 19th century. It is either copper or brass, and has what seems to be a very interesting and unusual scene embossed in it.

It seems to have been attached to something by some iron rivets(?) along the lower edge.

We are wondering not only what it was, but hopefully to learn what story is being depicted by the figures. Notice the little house at the top, and what appears to be swords in the hands of some of the apparently male figures. Some sort of battle or massacre going on, perhaps?

Sky3.jpg

I will update this when I get an answer from my buddy, but as I recall, it was maybe 6"-8" long and 3" tall.

JccEldreth

Feb 8, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Pro Pointer II and I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of a boot heal decoration plate, but it is a little big for that and not sure rivets make sence. Not it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reminds me of a boot heal decoration plate, but it is a little big for that and not sure rivets make sence. Not it.
That's the best guess I've heard yet. Of course, it is also the only guess I've heard so far. I've never heard of those, but I assume you mean something like these?

I'm not 100% those fasteners are rivets, and I'm guessing about the size as well, since I only saw it once, and that's been a few days.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sky2.jpeg

Here is just the close-up, without the overall shot. Might be easier to see details with this.

Upvote 0

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen boot toe decorations that looked a lot like that as far as overall shape

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've seen boot toe decorations that looked a lot like that as far as overall shape
I wish that I had it in my possession right now... it would be easier to respond to guesses like that. I emailed my buddy about that possibility and will let you know.

Any guesses about the story being told by the figures?

Upvote 0

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a colonial era hunting party, Native American confronting some kind of beast (need close up photo) on the left side. I say NA as he appears scantily clad with no hat, as opposed to the other male in full Pilgrim garb. Women carrying rifles or spears, log cabin in the background. May be a boot or horse tack adornment? Sub 8-)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can anybody identify the symbols that appear in the band at the bottom? As near as I can tell, those are not fleur de lis, which seem to always have only three segments.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a colonial era hunting party, Native American confronting some kind of beast (need close up photo) on the left side. I say NA as he appears scantily clad with no hat, as opposed to the other male in full Pilgrim garb. Women carrying rifles or spears, log cabin in the background. May be a boot or horse tack adornment? Sub 8-)
I believe that what you see as some kind of beast on the left side is actually a woman that is falling down, perhaps being killed (feet out to the left).

I think you are right, though, about that being an Indian on the left! I hadn't noticed, but that figure appears to be essentially naked (just a breech cloth, perhaps).

Upvote 0

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anybody identify the symbols that appear in the band at the bottom? As near as I can tell, those are not fleur de lis, which seem to always have only three segments.

They could be tulips, goes along with the Dutch pilgrim theme.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They could be tulips, goes along with the Dutch pilgrim theme.
Hadn't even occurred to me that it might be a Dutch pilgrim scene. Someone else on another site suggested that those might be brooms the women are holding, and a cat by the one woman's side, and that this is a witch trial scene.

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I'd say it's an ice skating scene. The poles perhaps being used like a cane... they don't seem to be hockey sticks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd say it's an ice skating scene. The poles perhaps being used like a cane... they don't seem to be hockey sticks.
Aha!! So, that is NOT a log cabin up on top... that must be the warming house!

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Yea the guy in the center is holding up 2 ladies. The girl on the left has fallen. Maybe on the right too.

And could this be skates?

Attachments

• skating paint.jpg
    skating paint.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 89
  • skating sticks.jpg
    skating sticks.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 65
  • skating sticks 2.jpg
    skating sticks 2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That's the best guess I've heard yet. Of course, it is also the only guess I've heard so far. I've never heard of those, but I assume you mean something like these?

I'm not 100% those fasteners are rivets, and I'm guessing about the size as well, since I only saw it once, and that's been a few days.

Heel plate from a very early wood strap on skate? http://www.antiqueiceskateclub.com/

They look like ferrous rivets or nails?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread