Emerald Case Key West

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I called this one from the very beginning.

This additional information was on the Investor Hub forum for ORRV :http://investorshub.advfn.com/boards/read_msg.aspx?message_id=95927969

I was at the Trial Today and spoke with Jay's Emerald Expert. Jay's Emerald Expert told me that that she appraised the emeralds over a year and a half ago at approx. $50,000. Which is the same appraisal as the Fisher's Expert. She basically told me that she told Jay and his attorney that the emeralds were garbage emeralds.

I ask her if there were any valuable emeralds and she told me NO. I then ask her about the gold particles that were suppose to be found on some of the emeralds and she started laughing.

I ask her why she was laughing and she told me that fine gold particles are found on almost all Gems in a Jewelery store because Jewelers make Jewelery and cut gold in their stores.

I was told by one of the Attorney's that the Fed's have issued approx. 4 target letters to people so that they know they are under investigation and that the Grand Jury is investigating the emerald case. 2 of the people whose names were mentioned were Steve Elchlepp Jr. ( Jay's Partner ) and Scott H. of ORRV fame.
I do not know that to be a fact it is only what I was told, but I do know that Steve Elchlepp Jr was on the witness stand yesterday and invoked his 5th Amendment Right not to testify.

Last edited:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Madforwrecks I have emeralds from "emerald city" from when I worked there. One of them has gold flecks on it. I thought it was fledspar.

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mad4wrecks... I agree that this particular emerald find was questionable from the the start and I was also privy to "inside" details from someone "invested" in this "venture"... Not surprised it turned out to be a mess like it did. But just for your edification, both Muzo and Chivor mined emeralds quite frequently have black mica, calcite, and pyrite (fools gold) deposits present within the inclusions...

Salvor6...The gold flakes being referred to were most likely pyrite.

OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Madforwrecks I have emeralds from "emerald city" from when I worked there. One of them has gold flecks on it. I thought it was fledspar.

Pete I understand that today'ss witnesses included the person that sold Jay the emeralds.
The whole story should be in Thursday's Key West Citizen Newspaper.

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like there may be a couple less "pirates" at the cook-out this year!

But what we need to do in retelling this story is make sure that we say that some scam artists posed as treasure hunters to commit fraud! Like so many other con artists they infiltrated our avocation with ill intent and with never actually seeking "treasure".

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Mark II - AT Pro - Garrett 580 PP.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I think I ran into you at Emerald City once??? "emeraldcitygentlemensclub" Emerald City Port Charlotte Fl. LOL :blackbeard:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread