Emerald Isle, NC

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Planning a trip to Emerald Isle, NC soon. Does anyone know if they have any restrictions or regulations on MD'ing ? I could not find anything on the city's website.

I see from the map that that is a city owned beach. I just looked at their city website (the same as you did I suppose). It is a very detailed website. As opposed to some other smaller cities which have either no website, or very cryptic websites (with no listing of any laws, departments, or anything). In Emerald Isle, on the other hand, it's got a very comprehensive website. With various rules, codes, etc.... down to minutia like whether or not vehicles are allowed on the beach, whether or not horses can waltz about, and so forth. And like your own observation, I see nothing there prohibiting metal detectors.

Now ... I suppose, since *anything's possible*, and since there does not appear to be the entire city charter and laws there, that it's still *possible* that there's a law on the books, yet doesn't make it on the website (laws forbidding nudity, for example, or murder, etc...). However, that is highly un-likely. While it can be "reasonably expected" that you can't waltz around nude, or murder people, yet metal detecting is not inherently wrong or evil like those activities. So I highly doubt that there's a specific prohibition of detecting, that ...on the other hand .... fails to make it on such a comprehensive list as this website has. And also: it's very rare to begin with, that any city has any rules on detectors in the first place. And if they DID (the few examples that exist), they are no "secret" and can be deduced.

Thus if it were me, I'd see this as a lack of any prohibitions on detecting. Are you planning on the beach or land detecting? 'cuz I notice there's a rule saying you must cover your holes on the beach. To me that just seems like an open invitation to MAKE holes. So go make some holes (that you will, of course, cover when done :))

STL8

Feb 27, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never had any issues detecting the beaches in EI. Fill your holes and you're good to go. GLHH

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I've never had any issues detecting the beaches in EI.....

Hey STL8, you know what this means don't you ? To some people (and yourself), it might mean that ...ergo ... "there's no issues". But on the contrary: It merely means you didn't ask enough desk-bound bureaucrats "can I?" Be sure to mention treasure, cultural artifacts, taking city goods for your own enjoyment, holes, etc.... (lest they not understand the full impact of your question). Only THEN can you find out "if it's legal". The fact that it's common place, and no one's had an issue, merely means that not enough people have been asking.

Oh, and if someone in city hall says "yes" to you, what you do next, is to give them a permission contract to sign (in which case they'll have to pass it by legal dept, the city counsel, etc...). Keep going higher and higher, and I bet you'll find a "no".

Last edited:

martinguitar

Feb 28, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent a week in June detecting Emerald Isle . No issues with detecting , just be sure to cover your holes up . This was my first time beach detecting . I found close to $20 in change , 2 gold rings , 1 silver , and one SS ring .
For my next beach vacation I hope to have a long handled sand scoop and a Excalibur detector . I used my Etrac and it worked great but I got a little bold in hunting the low tide and just about ruined it when I was stooped over digging a coin .

STL8

Feb 27, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom - Exactly. If it's not posted for the general public to see, I'm not asking. Not going to give some desk bound knucklehead the chance to interpret 'the rules'!! Keep it simple. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread