Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FarmerChick said:
anyone have a filter system for emergencies.

http://emergency-h2o.com/

check out this site and tell me if it is worth the money?? I kinda wanted to buy something reasonable to have for emergencies.

anyone know about this kind of emergency filter stuff?

thanks

I am with you. I want these too! But did you read the disclaimer? The reason they put that on there is the filter will not filter or destroy microbes that could be very dangerous. Reverse osmosis helps but disinfection is important. There are many on the market. remember that our diet is not used to the normal bacteria that everyone had to contend with 60 years ago! For the most part, Montezumas revenge is simply getting used to a new bacteria getting introduced in your gut. The people native to the region do not have this problem.

When I was a kd we always drank out of creeks, and I looking back I would not even think about it now! I wonder if just allowing yourself to get sick, till you really needed treatment(then having it there and using it) would inoculate you to your water supply? But if you just want the water to look good that bucket looks right lol.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea I saw it doesn't handle virus type

but I was thinking....what if I boiled water before filtering and after filtering. wouldn't that kill alot of trouble?

I saw the Berkly filters handles the viruses. But price is not as easy on the wallet as this one. So I keep thinking high boiling would help???? is that safe do you think?

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Drink creek water with pine pollen in it and you'll think Montezuma's gone berzerk. I don't know how to spell this, but Giardia is a bad bug that is able to swim up stream, and they say there isn't a stream in the US that doesn't have it now days. A little clorox is supposed to also work for the bugs, but one needs to filter the other stuff out first. Like soap and detergent and other bad chemicals. After water is filtered, then boiling would kill the bugs. I forget what the prof said, but it's got to be longer than just bringing it to a boil, it's got to boil for a few minutes anyhow. I suppose a guy could google it and become an expert.

werleibr

Jul 26, 2010
Virginia
Something that is even so simple you would laugh. Just buy and store Granular activated carbon (GAC)or if the stuff hits the fan before hand take charcoal and break it up into very fine grains. Now with the GAC make your own filter of alternating layers of 1/2 to 1 inch thick of GAC and Sand. This will do the same as what you are looking at buying. Or you can buy GAC in bulk and not more than what a bag of charcoal cost.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes boiling and filtering. I believe the Activated carbon or charcoal binds up tastes and odors(some chemicals).

I think I like the type that hikers get, but Farmer chick is right , those things are expensive. But in a real emergency a fire is not always practical, and then storing it to cool it. Good luck Farmer chick! I used to know some of this stuff, Maybe I will see if I can relearn some of it.

Yes Giardiasis is a terrible thing, carried by elk, moose, deer, Beavers and.... ? If I remember? Stays in a cyst form for a long time waiting for a new host.

Here is a link.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001333/

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all helpful info.

I am still googling and checking around and learning more on this.

just wanted a very simple way to clean up some water in emergencies.

Werl--I am going off to find a few websites with more 'homemade' filter setups.

alot of info on this subject on the web which is great. but again, not to spend a ton while getting something decent to help with emergency water if needed.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends upon how much emergency water you want. You can construct a makeshift solar water collector with a plastic sheet, way to dig a hole and a cup. If you are talking a very short time, 3-4 days, it's pretty easy. Just get some of those 5-gallon water bottles, safe plastic bottles or other containers suitable for water storage. Swimming pool water and a 5 gallon bucket will flush the toilet. The water in the toilet tanks is good to drink so don't waste it.

http://www.co.hood-river.or.us/vert...oads/Emergency_Water_Treatment_Fact_Sheet.pdf

Sam 8

Jan 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT..it is a Pro, but I am a rookie.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Berks are expensive, and worth it. If you are in a situation where you are using an alternative water supply, chances are that you won't have energy to use boiling water every day for drinking.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we own a farm
tons of free wood
and I have a big old fire grill in the yard I made...going to add on brick oven eventually :)

but yea, we always assume fire will be around. sometimes it sure isn't. good point

olroy70

Feb 3, 2011
gainesville, tx
Detector(s) used
Garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe you can find someone that runs, or used to run a sewer treatment plant. I hear they might have a clue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laughing9:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
olroy70 said:
maybe you can find someone that runs, or used to run a sewer treatment plant. I hear they might have a clue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laughing9:
You know noone cares about that ol roy! lol. Nice dig by the way! :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

You know that they say you can drink the water that leaves those plants don't you? I was always scared to try it, lolol.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I don't worry about water. I have an inclosed stone spring house that has a concrete roof that I installed. It is feed by a artisian fault and the water gushes up through a 3" hole in the rocks. I have been drinking it for 40+ years. I do use one of thore filter cartriges to get rid of the fine rock grit .
I remember reading that you can steralize a gallion of water with a cap full of bleach. Of course it will taste like city water though. Frank

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
All of those filters and safety precautions will work in a pinch. Boiling water or adding bleach or water purification tablets will kill all the nasty bugs that will make you sick. As far as a water supply, different people have different ideas about water storage and gathering in an emergency situation. I have mine already established and in place. I have a 24 foot swimming pool, holding around 10,000 gallons of water. It is always purified by chemicals, probably cleaner and more sanitary than most municipal water supplied. I can always filter it after retrieving it. The only scenario I can think of that would make it undrinkable is nuclear fallout. Any other situation and I would be good to go. Good Luck. rockhound

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea I have a 24 ft round pool. I thought of watering livestock with it if needed or use for us also.

I have a well. I am checking into hand pumps. not a good electrical/engineer type person. gotta get hubby involved :)

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a well you can just power it up with a generator. Will probably need one capable of handling 240.
If you're really worried, you can have another well drilled and install a hand pump system but it will cost you.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Wells, cisterns and pools all offer a reliable water supply for times when and if we need them. You can even catch rainwater and store it for later use. I know a man who has two 1500 gallon septic tanks buried in his yard with his gutter system piped into them. The rainwater runs through a gravel bed, then a sand bed then into the tanks. He had always had water to water his yard and garden in times of drought, when watering was banned. He can also use it for drinking, bathing or cooking if need be. The creek near my house, where I would have to get water in case of an emergency runs dry sometimes during the summer, so in times of drought or low rainfall, I couldn't depend on it. I feel better about having the pool just outside my door for a readily available supply of water if I need it. You can also just put 55 gallon barrels under each of your downspouts to catch rainwater if you want. Some states are trying to ban the practice of catching rainwater, and other states may follow suit, particularly where some regions of the country experience more and more drought conditions. Good luck. rockhound

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out Craigslist,under "Farm&Garden" section,and look for empty barrels,plastic or metal,there's always and ad for these and most are cheaper than you think.I bought 2 for my dogfood and for rain water. Remember you can also fill up your bathtub with water and drink it if your in a emergency situation. Also check out your local grocery store and buy their own brand gallon water,it's usual much cheaper than a national brand. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft: on the bathtubs

I sure use them if we get a report of ice storm coming and all that could take power.

great info on the board from all you guys. appreciate all the info on this subject.
being a little prepared is always a good thing :)

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can put quite a few rain barrels under 1 spout if you plumb them into each other at the top. It makes it easier if each consecutive barrel is an inch or so lower than the previous one so the overflow in the first barrel flows into the next etc. A barrel faucet can be plumbed into the lowest part for draining and cleaning. Thing is that water has just run down the roof which is dirty and probably has had birds messing on it. You could take plastic and rig funnel-like shapes to catch clean water and then close the drums off. Add a "little" bleach to keep it fresh longer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions