Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The wreck of Endurance has been found in the Antarctic, 106 years after the historic ship was crushed in pack ice and sank during an expedition by the explorer Ernest Shackleton.

A team of adventurers, marine archaeologists and technicians located the wreck at the bottom of the Weddell Sea, east of the Antarctic Peninsula, using undersea drones. Battling sea ice and freezing temperatures, the team had been searching for more than two weeks in a 150-square-mile area around where the ship went down in 1915.

Endurance, a 144-foot, three-masted wooden ship, holds a revered place in polar history because it spawned one of the greatest survival stories in the annals of exploration. Its location, nearly 10,000 feet down in waters that are among the iciest on Earth, placed it among the most celebrated shipwrecks that had not been found.
The rest of the article can be found here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...-found-in-antarctica/ar-AAUOYoW?ocid=msedgntp

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if they'll try to raise it, at that depth, it'd be a big challenge!

Bioheat1969

Jan 1, 2021
Dudley, MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn’t it found a few years ago?, or was that speculation. Cold water kept it in beautiful condition, amazing it stayed upright on that long journey to the bottom.

An expedition was looking for it a few years ago, but they didn't find it. I've long been a fan of Shackleton's story, I find the fact that they found his ship very exciting.

OP
OP
Salvor6

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Under the terms of the Antarctic Treaty, the six-decade-old pact intended to protect the region, the wreck is considered a historical monument and they will not touch it.

Bioheat1969

Jan 1, 2021
Dudley, MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it interesting, I posted about this on 2 other forums, one metal detecting and one Land Rover, the other metal detecting forum got no response, the Land Rover forum is just as interested as this forum and gave a ton of responses.

Bioheat1969

Jan 1, 2021
Dudley, MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
“For scientific discovery give me Scott; for speed and efficiency of travel give me Amundsen; but when disaster strikes and all hope is gone, get down on your knees and pray for Shackleton.” Sir Raymond Priestly, Antarctic Explorer and Geologist.

A great quote on the matter

whydahdiver

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I missed the episode on the history channel on Tuesday but see they listed it on the On Demand S3 E99. I watched it but the last 5-10 min all they showed was a CGI of the ship. Did I miss something or was this not the latest episode? Was hoping to see actual footage of the discovery from all of the images I've seen lately.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Under the terms of the Antarctic Treaty, the six-decade-old pact intended to protect the region, the wreck is considered a historical monument and they will not touch it.

Here's a good article that discusses exactly that, though the authors don't seem to believe it is that clear cut. It actually looks like it could get fairly complicated, and have ramifications long into the future. Both the Antarctic Treaty and the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea come into play here. Spain is even mentioned in all this:

Now that Shackleton's Endurance has been found, who determines what happens to the famous shipwreck?

So naturally, my devious mind has to ask: If someone found and recovered the ship's bell, how much could it fetch from a collector on the black market? As artifacts go, I'm guessing the ship's bell would be the most valuable, hence the question. If some other artifact would be worth more, shout it out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions