Detector(s) used
Coinmaster pro, at gold. Gold monster 1000. Equinox 800, sdc 2300, soon D2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Nox 800 has 8 different default search modes. Which one are you using and is it still in default settings or have you changed them?

I assume you are talking about US gold coins. Which ones?

Unless your setup is weird, gold and silver targets that are not at the edge of detection will sound really good. They won't sound choppy unless they have rejected iron in the vicinity or they are damaged.

Jeff

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
These are the VDI numbers on gold coins I have. The coins were laid separately on the ground so this was nothing more than an air test in Field 1.

Coin Date VDI
$0.50 1860 3 (California Gold fractional coin)

$2.50 1925 15

$5.00 1881 18

$10.00 1888 21

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
These are the VDI numbers on gold coins I have. The coins were laid separately on the ground so this was nothing more than an air test in Field 1.

Coin Date VDI
$0.50 1860 3 (California Gold fractional coin)

$2.50 1925 15

$5.00 1881 18

$10.00 1888 21
Those vdi numbers are good intel, thanks for that.

I wish there was a nice, well rounded database ove everything vdi for the equinox.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's some old charts for FE-CO numbers for the Etrac......

Coins Etrac.jpg

Etra Coin Chart FE-CO.jpg

Gold Jewelry Etrac.jpg

Silver Jewelry Etrac.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if anyone has hit gold coins with the nox 800. If so what number rang up and how did the target sound? Im struggling with horribly choppy targets and wondering if I'm missing great targets. Im also wondering what the best set up is for silver and gold coins. Thanks

Unless it's mixed with other metals, gold is very stable and the I.D. number you get shouldn't jump around. As you can see, gold coins can be all over the I.D. spectrum. If they were easy to find, everyone would be finding them!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are no "magic" settings that will help find silver or gold. Silver is fairly easy to cherry pick since it is such a high conductor but gold is a different story. Gold will give many various ID numbers and sounds depending on karat, size and shape of gold object. If you don't dig in the "trash" areas of aluminum and lead you will never find gold. Regarding gold coins, if you got a detector thinking you will find some you will be very disappointed, since probably less than one one thousandth of one percent of all detector users have ever found a gold coin. Basically discrimination is useless if you hunt gold. Detecting is simple: he who digs the most holes finds the most good stuff!!

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How's this?

Steve EQUINOXVDI.jpg

OP
OP
sushidingo

sushidingo

Mar 3, 2015
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster pro, at gold. Gold monster 1000. Equinox 800, sdc 2300, soon D2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the insights. I dont hunt only gold or silver. I just wondered if the choppy signals were possibly good.

I hunt a lot of ghost towns and the iron is insane. I'm thinking of trying to sift some of the sites i detect.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are no "magic" settings that will help find silver or gold. Silver is fairly easy to cherry pick since it is such a high conductor but gold is a different story. Gold will give many various ID numbers and sounds depending on karat, size and shape of gold object. If you don't dig in the "trash" areas of aluminum and lead you will never find gold. Regarding gold coins, if you got a detector thinking you will find some you will be very disappointed, since probably less than one one thousandth of one percent of all detector users have ever found a gold coin. Basically discrimination is useless if you hunt gold. Detecting is simple: he who digs the most holes finds the most good stuff!!

gunsil, you couldn't have explained it any better, you are right on!

After over 40 years of detecting, still haven't seen a Gold coin surface, but the Gold jewelry I've found surface on the days I dig every lower conductor signal in the pulltab range.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the insights. I dont hunt only gold or silver. I just wondered if the choppy signals were possibly good.

I hunt a lot of ghost towns and the iron is insane. I'm thinking of trying to sift some of the sites i detect.

Yup, sometimes sifting is the better option. In heavy iron sites, signals can sometimes be mixed, scratchy, iffy, and awful sounding. Dig a few dozen and reassess whether is worthwhile to detect or sift.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good chart there sgoss. I'll only add that I've found many nickels at 12, a few at 11 on edge, and my 14kt band is at 14, of course, so many sizes and thickness, I've found some as low as 10, as high as 16 etc. What I have learned, jumpy signals are operators choice, dig or not, depends on how tired my legs might be, but if a solid two way signal? well...….I have had a nice surprise now and then. It is a toss up, but your chart is a really good starting point. Thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions