Equinox Settings - forget what everyone else says do it yourself.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There are a lot of posts on various metal detecting forums asking Equinox 600 or 800 user what settings they use. In my opinion this is not the way to go about deciding what settings you should use for your Equinox.

Why? Other people’s settings are for their specific type of soil and the types of targets they are hunting. This can have a very negative effect if you use their settings on your hunt. Their settings may be optimized for a low mineralization soil and they might be hunting coins and you might be hunting in relics in a higher mineralized soil. Thus your 600 or 800 will be far from being optimized for your conditions.

Here is what I and others consider the right way to optimize YOUR SETTINGS for YOUR HUNT.

Take with you examples of what targets you are hunting. If you are hunting old coins then take your barber dime and shield nickel, etc with you to your hunt site.
Set the appropriate mode 1 or mode 2 for either park, field or beach.
Noise cancel and ground balance.
Bury your example targets about 7” deep be they coins or civil war bullets and buttons at the actual site you are hunting that day.
Now swing over your targets and gradually adjust your different settings while you swing. This can be done with the 800 and I assume it can be done using the 600.
Alter your sensitivity and see what gives you the best sound and best numbers.
Alter your recovery speed and see what gives you the best sound and best numbers.
Alter your iron balance and see what gives you the best sound and best numbers.
Alter your threshold and see what gives you the best sound and best numbers.

If the above one was park2 then repeat the entire sequence starting with noise cancel and ground balance with park 2.

Even try it in the gold modes you may be surprised that this produces the best signals.

Even change from multi to 5 kHz or other frequencies.

In my opinion this is the only way to truly optimize your Equinox for your specific targets and soil conditions.

Keep in mind the Minelab engineers did a very good job designing the default settings for each mode and usually only minor adjustments to the default settings are necessary to tailor the default settings to your hunt site.
The same applies to beach hunting.

Take some gold rings and bury them in the wet sand (not in the surf) and perform tests like above before the hunt. This will get your Equinox optimized for that ocean beach.

treasureguy56

Mar 31, 2019
Half way Between Perry and Owosso Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210 , Tesoro Golden Sabre , CZ5 , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot of posts on various metal detecting forums asking Equinox 600 or 800 user what settings they use. In my opinion this is not the way to go about deciding what settings you should use for your Equinox.

Why? Other people’s settings are for their specific type of soil and the types of targets they are hunting. This can have a very negative effect if you use their settings on your hunt. Their settings may be optimized for a low mineralization soil and they might be hunting coins and you might be hunting in relics in a higher mineralized soil. Thus your 600 or 800 will be far from being optimized for your conditions.

Here is what I and others consider the right way to optimize YOUR SETTINGS for YOUR HUNT.

Take with you examples of what targets you are hunting. If you are hunting old coins then take your barber dime and shield nickel, etc with you to your hunt site.
Set the appropriate mode 1 or mode 2 for either park, field or beach.
Noise cancel and ground balance.
Bury your example targets about 7” deep be they coins or civil war bullets and buttons at the actual site you are hunting that day.
Now swing over your targets and gradually adjust your different settings while you swing. This can be done with the 800 and I assume it can be done using the 600.
Alter your sensitivity and see what gives you the best sound and best numbers.
Alter your recovery speed and see what gives you the best sound and best numbers.
Alter your iron balance and see what gives you the best sound and best numbers.
Alter your threshold and see what gives you the best sound and best numbers.

If the above one was park2 then repeat the entire sequence starting with noise cancel and ground balance with park 2.

Even try it in the gold modes you may be surprised that this produces the best signals.

Even change from multi to 5 kHz or other frequencies.

In my opinion this is the only way to truly optimize your Equinox for your specific targets and soil conditions.

Keep in mind the Minelab engineers did a very good job designing the default settings for each mode and usually only minor adjustments to the default settings are necessary to tailor the default settings to your hunt site.
The same applies to beach hunting.

Take some gold rings and bury them in the wet sand (not in the surf) and perform tests like above before the hunt. This will get your Equinox optimized for that ocean beach.

I must say , that I never approached it in this way . It does sound very logical and I will definitely be trying this out !
I don't know about others , but sometimes I get so caught up in the excitement of the coming hunt that I forget about the basics and jump right in without doing everything I could be doing to be more successful .
Thanks for the reminder

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The people that ask for settings instead of learning the machine don't know how to interpret instructions, if you make it into a cartoon it might help...

Last edited:

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both the 800 and 600 can be adjusted as you outlined, just the 800 has a few more tweeks is all.

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP DÄ“us, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your own results testing settings in a properly set up test garden or settings comparison tests done in the field are far more valuable than someone else's magic program.

Learn to make the machine work best for your conditions, your style and the treasure you hunt.

Aeds151

Jan 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advice. Now send me a variety of silver, gold, and historic coins so that I actually have something to test. [emoji3]

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP DÄ“us, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advice. Now send me a variety of silver, gold, and historic coins so that I actually have something to test. [emoji3]

You can buy silver and historic coins surprisingly cheap by getting specimens in poor condition at a coin shop. Modern jewelry can also be buried (protected in plastic wrap or a Zip-Loc) , if only temporarily.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
The easy part of this procedure is that you'll be digging a 6-7" hole and maybe clean out only trash or a zinc. Instead of filling an empty hole, put in your test coin and "learn a little."

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been saying this from day one...very few listen.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been saying this from day one...very few listen.

I listened to Vferrari (always do carefully) and it helped me quite a bit on this and other issues.

Now I don't do all of the checks all the time. Only when I am on a new site that is real important to me like a new CW encampment in Metro Atlanta. Reason is a lot of these sites in Metro Atlanta were hit pretty hard by members of a local club in the 70's and 80's. So I try to use my 800 to its full advantage and that is not always just in depth. Lot of these sites are trashy because of being in metro Atlanta. Not like virgin sites out in the Virginia country side in a field.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We call it tuning the detector, been doing it for years. First started doing it with Excalibur and gold rings.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I listened to Vferrari (always do carefully) and it helped me quite a bit on this and other issues.

Now I don't do all of the checks all the time. Only when I am on a new site that is real important to me like a new CW encampment in Metro Atlanta. Reason is a lot of these sites in Metro Atlanta were hit pretty hard by members of a local business club in the 70's and 80's. So I try to use my 800 to its full advantage and that is not always just in depth. Lot of these sites are trashy because of being in metro Atlanta. Not like virgin sites out in the Virginia country side in a field.

Yes. We’ve discussed this a lot and you definitely “get it”. I meant to add to my previous. “Good advice” referring to your original post.

Aug 18, 2019
South Padre Island Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro SideWinder, CZ20, Whites XLT, Tesoro StingRay II, Whites PI Pro w/950 Dive Coil, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab EQ 600, Fisher CZ3D, Whites TDI SL, Sov. GT. Minelab GXP-4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Advise, I did the same with all my detectors and found some of the strangest settings give the best results sometimes. I always want to make sure i'm getting the best possible signal because you may be just walking to get the exercise because your detector is only picking up 1 to 2 inches if something went wrong and you never thought to check.
Some rings give better signal than others, I like to test with the lowest tone ring that way if it picks it up the higher ring tone will be even better. take a Nickle with you to the beach, dig a hole and see how far you can get with it. If you can hit the Nickle you will probably get the gold ring. Happy Hunting. p.s. just saw Indiana Beach Amusement Park closing, been there since 1926...hope someone gets to find a few targets there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread