Error coin?

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I found this old Buffalo in an old coin collection I bought. I think it might be some sort of error but not sure. The extra material on the obverse is a blob of extra nickel, not solder or some other material. If you examine the "blob" under magnification, there are several letters impressed in it. I would like to know from the experts what this is, and if an error, what the value might be. Wish the coin was in better shape! Thanks!
IMG_0293.JPG
IMG_0294.JPG

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is certainly unique, was there a date on it. I've heard the dateless ones are not valuable.... I'm sure someone will be able to give you a better answer...

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty odd alright, but there is just no way in the minting process for that to have happened. The minting procedure is a pretty straightforward, manufacturing process, with all steps well known and documented. It has to be something that happened after. Could be a harder material than solder, silver solder perhaps, somehow another metal has melted onto it.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can clearly see the other "LIBERTY" smashed into the coin.

I am going with VERY possible error.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because of what looks like an attempt to Carve a man (zeus ?) looking straight ahead & Jeering. Or liberty Woman looking down towards her bent knee in it, (his teeth/her Eyelid) I almost thought Hobo Nickel.

000.jpg

but the misplaced letters and numbers , spell Liberty So my Guess she is Liberty (Maybe Depicted Broken), I'm wondering if it's simply an attempt to make a unique error, by someone.

it does not look like coins were pressed together. the letters are not in reverse or inward.

at certain Lines it does look like it could be Soldered or pasted on

000.jpg

and the Whole Right side due to the Shadows looks suspect.
But I must be Honest without holding it to Examine closely.
I'm thinking the Nickel was Carved out & The Suspect Piece added on. date is hard to say. it appears too large, too high, and too far to the left
to me.
000aaa.jpg

000aaa.jpg

just opinions. cool find, all the same :treasurechest:

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Pretty odd alright, but there is just no way in the minting process for that to have happened. The minting procedure is a pretty straightforward, manufacturing process, with all steps well known and documented. It has to be something that happened after. Could be a harder material than solder, silver solder perhaps, somehow another metal has melted onto it.
Thanks for your input. It does seem like there's no way the mint did this.

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
You can clearly see the other "LIBERTY" smashed into the coin.

I am going with VERY possible error.
Thank you very much. I'm hoping you're right, but with the poor condition of the coin-if it IS an error-probably not worth much.

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Because of what looks like an attempt to Carve a man (zeus ?) looking straight ahead & Jeering. Or Fugly (liberty) Woman looking down towards her bent knee in it, I almost thought Hobo Nickel.

View attachment 2011377

but the misplaced letters and numbers , spell Liberty So my Guess she is Liberty (Maybe Depicted Broken), I'm wondering if it's simply an attempt to make a unique error, by someone.

it does not look like coins were pressed together. the letters are not in reverse or inward.

at certain Lines it does look like it could be Soldered or pasted on

View attachment 2011381

and the Whole Right side due to the Shadows looks suspect.
But I must be Honest without holding it to Examine closely.
I'm thinking the Nickel was Carved out & The Suspect Piece added on. date is hard to say. it appears too large, too high, and too far to the left
to me.
View attachment 2011383
View attachment 2011382

just opinions. cool find, all the same :treasurechest:
Thank you very much for your insights. It seems as though all you point out is a possibility. I just don't know what happened to the thing!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for your insights. It seems as though all you point out is a possibility. I just don't know what happened to the thing!
if you look at the Broken Liberty letters size & style .
The die that Made the Nickel could not have made those Letters

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like someone melted pieces of a mercury dime or standing liberty quarter onto it. Can you acid test the "added" parts to see if they're silver?

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Looks like someone melted pieces of a mercury dime or standing liberty quarter onto it. Can you acid test the "added" parts to see if they're silver?
I use 18k test solution for silver which turns to a milky white precipitate in silver's presence. I made a light rub on the added part so as not to damage it (much) and it immediately dissolved in the acid. I then rubbed the edge of another old Buffalo and applied acid and the results were identical-immediate dissolution of the material, leaving only the clear acid on the stone. Not sure what this proves other than I don't believe there's any silver present.
Great theory though! Thanks for your idea to test for silver!

TenEightyOne

Feb 20, 2022

I'd agree, but then I'd add that malformed coins are a hallmark of counterfeiting attempts in every era.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's a pretty large "cud". Where when stamping the coins a blob of metal splits off another planchet and gets "stuck" to another coin. It's a nice find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread