l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's a pretty large "cud". Where when stamping the coins a blob of metal splits off another planchet and gets "stuck" to another coin. It's a nice find.
No, a cud is when a piece breaks off the edge of the die, when a coin is struck from the broken die it leaves a raised area from the metal flowing out into the break.
697073031.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, a cud is when a piece breaks off the edge of the die, when a coin is struck from the broken die it leaves a raised area from the metal flowing out into the break.
697073031.jpg
And a cud wouldn't explain the extra lettering either.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
The B is nothing like the B in Liberty. They are formed differently. That being said, I doubt it is an Error coin. I don't see how that could happen. Lets see, a struck laminate falls off and is struck into this coin? That's just about the only way I can think of something like this happening. The letters would be much more heavily damaged by the second strike and letters would be identical, no different. I think it may be added after the fact (PMD). You can take it to a big show where the PNG or ANACS are there to answer questions. That would cause a bit of a stir, I think. I was just at the Long Beach show this last weekend, and they were all there.

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Many thanks for all who have assisted me in trying to identify this strange coin!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions