Last edited:
Upvote 0

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The item in the first photo is a flint fishhook. They show up with some frequency on all the artifact forums and experienced collectors will tell you none has ever been found in a controlled dig, or in context. Collectors universally regard them as modern. Native American fishhooks were made of bone, one piece or sometimes two. The subject gets debated a lot on the boards, but the consensus is that flint fishhooks are not ancient artifacts. Sorry for that bit of bad news.

Regarding the other items, My eyes are telling me modern for those as well, but it's tough to qualify, just decades of looking at artifacts renders a gut feeling, which isn't much to go by, especially from photos alone. And it's just an opinion.
In the case of the fishhook, though, the consensus in the collecting community is that they are modern.

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe they are modern re-productions

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep all repro

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to say, but all of those are modern reproductions. If those 4 are then it's a good bet all 10 are. Post the rest and let us see if they are.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to go along with the others on modern and all the reason they gave plus one of my own and that is they all look like they were made from the same stone type. If you didn't pay to much you have some nice repo. stuff to compare real stuff too.

Red Earth

Jul 29, 2013
I know a fella who found a flint fish hook. The guy is a farmer and thinks the artifacts are cool to find when he climbs off the tractor to get them. He wouldn't ever fake a piece since he holds minor interest in them. Take them to a museum and see what they say. Pictures are deceiving.
Not long ago on this site, a man posted 4 or 5 pics of fake relics and told all of us to guess what was fake. As everyone chose 1-5 it ended up being all of them that were fakes. No one got it correct. So take them to someone who can handle them and tell you about them

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing the flint is white and of course not all white flint is but most reproduction pieces are made from the while flint. It is harder to see the modern chips on the white flint and that is the reason they use it. GL and I hope they are real.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions