Tenderfoot
Mar 15, 2005
Upvote 4

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all the environmental regulations and other government bullshit, it'll cost almost as much just to mine it out of the ground. Gold mining isn't profitable enough in the US anymore.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The U.S. is consistently the third or fourth largest gold miner in the world. It's usually voted by mining companies as the best country in the world to mine in.
The U.S. produces on average more than 460,000 pounds of gold a year. Mining of all forms is alive and well in the United States.

I can name several places in the U.S. that have never been mined but contain more than 3 billion dollars in gold. The problem is mining at a profit is not possible in those locations and probably never will be. That's nothing to do with mining regulation it's about the nature of the gold deposit not being profitable.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
The U.S. is consistently the third or fourth largest gold miner in the world. It's usually voted by mining companies as the best country in the world to mine in.
The U.S. produces on average more than 460,000 pounds of gold a year. Mining of all forms is alive and well in the United States.

I can name several places in the U.S. that have never been mined but contain more than 3 billion dollars in gold. The problem is mining at a profit is not possible in those locations and probably never will be. That's nothing to do with mining regulation it's about the nature of the gold deposit not being profitable.
Yes, the same with oil. I know folks who own land in Oklahoma. It has oil under it, but too costly to extract. They are told, maybe someday, IF new cheaper methods are invented. Metals have similar cost prohibiting issues

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The big boys are still making big profits. https://www.mining-technology.com/projects/carlin/
They've been steady since the early 1980s in Northern Nevada. Back then they were making a profit on $12. a ton ore. Once I was waiting to visit a contractor and watching them load 250 ton haul trucks in the pit, as I waited for the guy I was to meet, one empty truck was waiting as one was being loaded and I timed them off my watch and it was like an average of 40 to 45 seconds to load each haul truck with 3 giant scoops of the big shovel. There was an empty haul truck always there ready to back under that shovel. That was around the time many of the mines were just starting to go underground, because that's the type of product I dealt with.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Adding to my post above.... The Co. is also acquiring lots more ground so they don't seem too worried about the future of gold and remain very positive? Talking with one of the geo's last season I asked him... "what's it take about 5 yrs to get permitted?" His answer was "oh no, about a year".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread