What's new

Ever find anything good in a site with fill dirt?

HighVDI

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2017
Messages
2,768
Reaction score
4,595
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got permission to hunt an 1882 farm house. The owner came out about a half hour into the hunt and mentioned the yard was mostly fill. I figure there has to be some good stuff from other older yards in some fill. Just wondering if anyone has ever found anything notable in these conditions.....or is it just a waste of time?
 
Indian Head cent.
 
I don't know. It's still an 1882 farm site. Would be hard just to give up on it. I'm hunting a farm site, and have been told they were alway's bringing in fill. Although a bummer, I did find my oldest coin there. 1835 LC. Where there's one there's probably more, just take's more time to find them. I pay more attention to the iffy signals if ya know what I mean. Good Luck!!
 
Boy scout badges. They leveled out an area of a camp. Otherwise, nothing.
 
I thought I was in an old sunken road bed and found my first 1800's coin , a really nice 1889 IHP. After talking to the landowner, they told me it was not an old roadbed but where they had put in a water line several years ago. Guess it was dug up with the dirt from the trench.
 
You will never know the age of the fill dirt until you get out there. Hopefully its from the old carnival grounds or rodeo! I love old fill dirt. Hope you show some good pics:)
 
the odds of fill-dirt containing any good, is slim to none. Unless you knew that the fill-dirt was coming from some place that had some sort of history. So I avoid fill dirt areas.
 
Found a handful of modern clad so far. The homeowner seems kind of sketchy about the fill story. He did give me permission to hunt, but also has a whites spectrum he swung around the house. He's 83 and you can tell he's in no shape to get down and dig anymore. Eh, I'll comb through it some and see what happens. I will report back with any finds.
 
1900 Barber half in fill for a general purpose playfield next to a school. Old eastern small coal mining town.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom