404.4 KB · Views: 165
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Judging from what I see in the picture your doing fine.... Pulltabs will ring just like gold most times, if you descriminate them our your going to descriminate out gold. Bottle caps when new will give a kinda of brrrrap sound, but once they are corruded they are hard to tell... Lead weights you will dig as they will always sound like a good target. Coins all look good.......

Everything in your picture I have dug a thousand times over. I was on a 3 day hunting road trip this week, just in one day I dug 52 pennies, 31 quarters, 40 nickels, and 43 dimes, didn't count the pull tabs and dug maybe 6 bottle caps, but I also dug gold that day too.....

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will come. Even today I still try to guess what every target is before I attempt to retrieve it. As time has passed I've gotten to where I'm right the majority of the time. The Excal is a great machine and if there is gold or silver in reach of the search cone it will find it. Prospectors use to say, "You can't find gold where gold ain't." If we apply that to metal detecting perhaps it changes the way, and where, we look for it. :icon_thumleft:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand, my last water hunt started at 8am and ended at 330pm, and the water was rough.... Dug close to 200 targets...

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes sir that heater is working 100%.
your good finds will show up after u get more of the trash cleaned up - trash is doing a lot of masking and hiding any good targets.
mho

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish you luck next hunt!!

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like u are hunt a know fishing area...... i see a lot of that type trash on the bay. Shallow bottle caps..... learn them.... they are loud and bong, everything else you dig. Hey.... look on the bright side its not a PI..... think about that. Where you find weights hunt that line or low area good..... well unless they are right on the bank lol. I agree..... looks like you have an untouched spot there that might well produce and is to frustrating for many hunters.

Dew

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you know the area you are hunting. Just because it's water, doesn't mean it has loads of gold and silver. Fishing spots produce lead and trash. Swimming spots generally have much less lead but, my have more trash.

Is this an old creek swimming hole? An old town swimming lake? Modern beach? party cove? Are there concession stands there? All these produce different grouping of finds.

If you want jewelry, you have to find the most popular beaches, especially busy from the 18-30 year old crowd. You want the group that wears gold and silver, gets drunk and doesn't think to take it off before going out, and likes to jump and rough-house in the water.

OP
OP
R

River Hound

Dec 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you know the area you are hunting. Just because it's water, doesn't mean it has loads of gold and silver. Fishing spots produce lead and trash. Swimming spots generally have much less lead but, my have more trash.

Is this an old creek swimming hole? An old town swimming lake? Modern beach? party cove? Are there concession stands there? All these produce different grouping of finds.

If you want jewelry, you have to find the most popular beaches, especially busy from the 18-30 year old crowd. You want the group that wears gold and silver, gets drunk and doesn't think to take it off before going out, and likes to jump and rough-house in the water.

this spots a lake the waters way down.People pull their boats and jet skies up to the beach and you can drive in.I know I partied their 20 years ago and my pops generatiion before that.the place has got history old gold rush history.the week before i got my excal i was using my ace 250 and found 1880s nickle and a buffalo nickle laying on top of the sand. HH T
hanks

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get through all the trash and the good stuff will start showing up. It has to be there. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
R

River Hound

Dec 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get through all the trash and the good stuff will start showing up. It has to be there. :icon_thumleft:

That's what I thought.So many old pulltabs I know this beach has been hit. I saw a guy pull 6 rings one day years ago.And I did pull 2 rings my first day with the excal their. 1 silver 1 gold plated wire.I was grinin from ear to ear with my new toy.Theirs places with so much iron I haven't figured out how to detect yet and a bunch of it is square nails.I may have been frustrated and tired yesterday but its all good. The adventure continues hh

NYwaterhunter

Jul 23, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep at it River rat You Are Right on Track.!
My partner and I hit a huge area once and pulled aver 2000 pull tabs (we kept count) in water and came out with about 20 pieces of gold. (15 were gold rings)
The first three trips to this spot all we got were Tabs. I wasn't going to go back. Thank god we did.
We averaged 100 tabs to 1 gold ring.
The items you are finding remind me of that same area.
Keep going!
good luck

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a spot like that a few years back - I'd bring a gallon Baggie for the junk and have to empty it 3 or 4 times each trip. But eventually the good stuff started showing up, probably because other hunters got discouraged by the crap long before I did. Keep on hauling it out, I'm sure there is something waiting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread