Excal gold chains question? Link w/ pics added

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's my first year out with the Excal II, and to say the least, I love this machine. Being out only 5 times for a total of 20 hrs, I have found 2 gold rings, 2 gold earings, a silver bracelet, silver earing with a Swarovsky crystal, and a surgical steel earing with a 2.5ct pink saphire, + a ton of clad and junk earings.

But my question here is about gold chains.

Will they give off a tone like an earing or small gold ring would give off, or will it just blip and null like a junk earing or bobby pin? The reason I ask is that I don't see many gold chains posted, and I know that they have to be out there!

Is there a secret to finding them? Any advice or opinions greatly appreciated. Thanks - L4S
UPDATE
Link to the Illinois Forum with the pics of my finds so far.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,336151.0.html

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many can't show any gold chains found with the Excal because unless the detector goes off on the pendant or clasp, it just might give a scratchy tone. Something you'd pass over. Check it out with a couple chains, with and without pendants.

I've had guys tell me I was all wet because their Excal found a gold chain, but I don't know if it had a coin near it or pendant or how big the chain was. Plus not all Excals are created equal. Mine can find earring backs.

Attachments

• Earring studs & Backs1.jpg
    Earring studs & Backs1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 579
OP
OP
Lookn4Seated

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Many can't show any gold chains found with the Excal because unless the detector goes off on the pendant or clasp, it just might give a scratchy tone. Something you'd pass over. Check it out with a couple chains, with and without pendants.

I've had guys tell me I was all wet because their Excal found a gold chain, but I don't know if it had a coin near it or pendant or how big the chain was. Plus not all Excals are created equal. Mine can find earring backs.

Thats something else. Those earing backs come in like little grunts? Those must be a pain in the a#@ to retrieve, falling through the holes of the scoup. :laughing7: I've had a couple small earings keep falling through for about 15 mins. Any advice on retrieving those? Thats adds up too though.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The two chains that I found sounded like bottle cap when the coil passed over them. It made a short blip and then nothing. I only dug them because I didn't have hardly any other signals that day.

OP
OP
Lookn4Seated

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JP said:
The two chains that I found sounded like bottle cap when the coil passed over them. It made a short blip and then nothing. I only dug them because I didn't have hardly any other signals that day.

That's what I would've imagined they sound like. A little grunt and then nothing. I guess that's why I dig so much junk loop earings. One of them is bound to be a gold chain. :dontknow:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The earring backs add up, but I only bother with them when things are slow or I am bored. In the surf when they fell through you never found them again. In freshwater lakes when they fall through you try to find them on the bottom by sight as sometimes they lay on top of the sand. Patience is all you can do.

travelingjack1

Apr 5, 2010
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman said:
The earring backs add up, but I only bother with them when things are slow or I am bored. In the surf when they fell through you never found them again. In freshwater lakes when they fall through you try to find them on the bottom by sight as sometimes they lay on top of the sand. Patience is all you can do.

I was going to ask you last time you posted a pic of those how the heck you retrieved so many backings. :laughing9: Amazing patience is a virtue... :headbang:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
travelingjack1 said:
Sandman said:

I was going to ask you last time you posted a pic of those how the heck you retrieved so many backings. :laughing9: Amazing patience is a virtue... :headbang:

How do I get so many backings? Easy, I cheat. Who told us that we only had to carry one scoop with us? I sometimes carry a small sleive that can hold the small stuff. Besides Sometimes these are the only targets that make noise cause you guys got it all.

Attachments

• GOLD 06600.jpg
    GOLD 06600.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 430

stavr

Nov 9, 2008
Odessa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
Lookn4seated.Excalibur does not see the chain up to 15-20gramm.
To do this, use another metal detector.
and it is a topic search of gold chains in salt water ... :)

Sandman.search finds gold chain to 10gramm Aquastar from Eric Foster?

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dennis did your buddy buy the beer after the hunt? :tongue3: :laughing9:

firstbiggestmost

Oct 29, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excall II, Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's some good video on the Excall and small gold chains.

Part 1

Part 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread