Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
call minelab and see if they will do anything for you, you might be surprised!!! other manufacturers I have dealt with have done great things for me!

chuck.

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
call minelab and see if they will do anything for you, you might be surprised!!! other manufacturers I have dealt with have done great things for me!

chuck.

I would second this suggestion, (just my humble opinion of course). I think I'd give the tech's at ML a call as soon as I could tomorrow morning. You never know, .. if the "stock" replacement charger is infact the culprit, there might possibly be a bad batch of them from a production line that need to be recalled..(you never know).. I'd still like to know more about sealing the threads on the pack with that silicone grease that I have heard about.

I think it's mentioned in the owners manual, and I know that I have read about it on a forum somewhere, but I don't know what the correct name for it is....or where to find it. That would be a good thing to have, and to use for making darned sure that no water gets in to the pod. That was why I mentioned my concern about bringing a cold machine into a very warm vehicle after using it for long periods outside. Possible "condensation build up" inside of the battery pack.

If anybody has any idea as to what name this grease is labeled under on the store shelves, and where to get it, please pass the word.

Greg

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, I looked closer at the manual. It's the pins that get the grease, not the threads but I wonder which silicone grease would be the right one. There are several types available at different suppliers, and some are dielectric, and some are food grade etc. ? Here's what ML says about water and condensation, as well as temp changes.

"As part of the manufacturing process, Minelab applies a silicone grease to
the battery cable connector pins. This prevents a build-up of residual
water and reduces the level of electrolysis between the two pins, which
in turn prolongs the serviceability of your unit. This grease should be
reapplied as part of your routine care and maintenance."

"Avoid rapid changes in temperature. Gradual warming and cooling will
keep the internal atmosphere stable. Extreme temperature swings may
cause a light condensation to appear on the cylinder walls for a short
time. Wait for this to disappear before using your Excalibur II."

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as the Excal is under warranty, I would not bother with taking the battery of the shafts to charge it.
You are apt to do more damage handling it (jerk the cables, drop it) than if you just left it on.
Even if the battery outgassed blowing off one or both ends of the sealed pod, it most likely would not damage the control Pod which is the other side of the
shaft.

Not that I am aware of. And yes, to what you said about taking the battery off of the shaft to charge it. From now on I will take mine off every time I recharge. Losing a battery is one thing but losing the whole machine is a whole different can of worms!..Good point Fletch.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as the Excal is under warranty, I would not bother with taking the battery of the shafts to charge it.
You are apt to do more damage handling it (jerk the cables, drop it) than if you just left it on.

If someone is likely to damage an excal just by removing and replacing their battery pod, they should be under supervised care, because it takes a special kind of stupid to accomplish that.

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK folks! This is what happened to me back when? Went to check battery charging. Cylinder was hot. Disconnected charger. Backed out setscrews. Didn't get the second one out when "BAM". Ended up with cylinder in hand and end cap flying around. Couldn't find alanwrench for years. No injuries, but, changed undrwear. After that I take batterie's out and charged. I know it's a pain in the a@# to keep doing this, but. I haven't had problems since. Also! It's a good time to remove and clean O'rings and lubricate them. Clean out cylinders also. Sand does get in them. That's my imput.

gobble-gobble

Sep 7, 2012
North Port , Florida
Detector(s) used
own, excal 1000, excal. II , explorer II, Fisher CZ21, Vibra-Tector

Sold-BHID (2), DetecorPro-PI, Fisher CZ 2o, Fisher1280, Sovereign & many other minelabs & whites detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it's a pain but it is the safest way to go. And your right Sonny sand does somehow finds it way in.And I can't figure out how the pod stay's water tight.

OK folks! This is what happened to me back when? Went to check battery charging. Cylinder was hot. Disconnected charger. Backed out setscrews. Didn't get the second one out when "BAM". Ended up with cylinder in hand and end cap flying around. Couldn't find alanwrench for years. No injuries, but, changed undrwear. After that I take batterie's out and charged. I know it's a pain in the a@# to keep doing this, but. I haven't had problems since. Also! It's a good time to remove and clean O'rings and lubricate them. Clean out cylinders also. Sand does get in them. That's my imput.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I looked closer at the manual. It's the pins that get the grease, not the threads but I wonder which silicone grease would be the right one. There are several types available at different suppliers, and some are dielectric, and some are food grade etc. ? Here's what ML says about water and condensation, as well as temp changes.

"As part of the manufacturing process, Minelab applies a silicone grease to
the battery cable connector pins. This prevents a build-up of residual
water and reduces the level of electrolysis between the two pins, which
in turn prolongs the serviceability of your unit. This grease should be
reapplied as part of your routine care and maintenance."

"Avoid rapid changes in temperature. Gradual warming and cooling will
keep the internal atmosphere stable. Extreme temperature swings may
cause a light condensation to appear on the cylinder walls for a short
time. Wait for this to disappear before using your Excalibur II."
Here is a link for where you can get your silicone grease for your pins. Call the Cordova Rd location, tell them you want the silicone grease for the connectors, (they use it on the underwater scooters connectors).
I'm sure they would be more than happy to take your credit card # and send you a package.
If you have any problems, pm me, I can go down there and get it for you, also.

Brownie's YachtDiver : Scuba Gear : Third Lung : Scubapro : Tankfill Compressor

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get silicone grease at Lowes or Home Depot in their plumbing department.

We will NOT go quitely into the night!

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a link for where you can get your silicone grease for your pins. Call the Cordova Rd location, tell them you want the silicone grease for the connectors, (they use it on the underwater scooters connectors).
I'm sure they would be more than happy to take your credit card # and send you a package.
If you have any problems, pm me, I can go down there and get it for you, also.

Brownie's YachtDiver : Scuba Gear : Third Lung : Scubapro : Tankfill Compressor

Thank you

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can get silicone grease at Lowes or Home Depot in their plumbing department.

We will NOT go quitely into the night!

Good deal, .. Is the grease that you are speaking of at lowe's in a small round flat white tub and labeled "Danco Silicone Grease"? or does that make any difference? What I am trying to say is, .. as long as it is "plumbers silicone grease" it will do the job and not swell the oring, or the flat rubber washer...correct?

Thanks for the help

gobble-gobble

Sep 7, 2012
North Port , Florida
Detector(s) used
own, excal 1000, excal. II , explorer II, Fisher CZ21, Vibra-Tector

Sold-BHID (2), DetecorPro-PI, Fisher CZ 2o, Fisher1280, Sovereign & many other minelabs & whites detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal, .. Is the grease that you are speaking of at lowe's in a small round flat white tub and labeled "Danco Silicone Grease"? or does that make any difference? What I am trying to say is, .. as long as it is "plumbers silicone grease" it will do the job and not swell the oring, or the flat rubber washer...correct?

Thanks for the help

I get mine at Lowes
Oatey - Plumber's faucet & valve grease , 1 oz tube, been using it for years no problems.
It's water proof & resists high temperatures

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NC! I use "Sport Divers" silicone grease 1 1/4oz "O" Ring Lubricant from a dive shop. I don't do the threads. If you carry a backup so's you don't have to go back to the car, get a 3/4 PVC endcap, fill it up with sealer and leave 3 to 4 threads showing. Let it harded. Then screw it on. I carry one in my pouch in the water and never had to go back to my car. I did it once and that was the last time.

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I get mine at Lowes
Oatey - Plumber's faucet & valve grease , 1 oz tube, been using it for years no problems.
It's water proof & resists high temperatures

I had to go to Lowe's today, had to get a spigot cap it's gonna freeze here in the next couple of days. I found a small tub of Oatey brand for just a couple of bucks. I've got her now cuz. :thumbsup:

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NC! I use "Sport Divers" silicone grease 1 1/4oz "O" Ring Lubricant from a dive shop. I don't do the threads. If you carry a backup so's you don't have to go back to the car, get a 3/4 PVC endcap, fill it up with sealer and leave 3 to 4 threads showing. Let it harded. Then screw it on. I carry one in my pouch in the water and never had to go back to my car. I did it once and that was the last time.

Good idea!!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
surfhunter

surfhunter

Sep 25, 2011
FL NATIVE
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark+ Excal.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
**UPDATE*** I spoke with the Kellyco minelab repair techs. They asked me to send them the battery and charger. In return they would send me a new battery and charger!! I bought my Excal. two years ago and it was not under warranty so they real went above and beyond on this. Thanks guys I really appreciate it.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to hear that, Surfhunter. Most companies will do the right thing and many will go beyond that if asked nicely. Glad Kellyco is taking care of you.

aussiedigger

Sep 10, 2008
Brisbane Queensland Australia
Detector(s) used
ctX 3030 6 &17 inch coils all with shafts... 2 x Sovereign GT's... Modified Excal11 with PP switch on the handle and Connection for GG Amphibians & Skullies headphones by JBN ...Cibola C/Sweep coil
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
**UPDATE*** I spoke with the Kellyco minelab repair techs. They asked me to send them the battery and charger. In return they would send me a new battery and charger!! I bought my Excal. two years ago and it was not under warranty so they real went above and beyond on this. Thanks guys I really appreciate it.

:hello2: Good on you Minelab.:icon_thumright:

aussie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread