montauk3 seems to say that the old nicad problem of "memory", is a thing of the past. I'm not so sure of that. I suppose the manufacturers have lessened the "memory" problem, compared to what it was years ago, but I don't think it's completey eliminated. So I still drain my batteries all the way, before recharging them, even on modern packs. And you're right: there's no strength indicator on the Excal. Just the low battery warning tone. So you might wanna get a second pack, and just carry it with you in the field, to change-out when necssary.
If you don't know what the "memory" problem is, it's the following: Say if you charge your nicads (like your home's walk-around phone, or a charge-flashlight, or whatever) after every hour of use. Eventually, the battery's will memorize that point, and ... presto: pretty soon they go dead at ....... 1 hr!
And you'll notice that most gadget manufacturers don't tell you this. For example: the instructions on your home's chordless phone, will tell you to put the handset back on the charger, after each use, right? This is why you'll find yourself going to radio shack 2x per year for a new nicad pack, because eventually, the pack depends on charges after only a few minutes of usage (ie.: memorizes). But if you only charge when the battery goes all the way down, the battery will last 5x as long. I think the manufacturers are in cahoots with the nicad battery manufacturers, to not instruct for full-discharges, so they can sell more nicad packs