Excalibur II battery or other issue - any thoughts

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XS-2a Pro, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Excal battery is one year old. I had it fully charged per my intelligent charger. Went out for about two hours. No issues. Went out two days later for 2 hours. No issues. Turned it on again later during that second day and nothing happened. Didn't think to put a multimeter on it and charged it up per my intelligent charger. After charging I put a multimeter on it and it read 13.70 volts. Went out today for 45 minutes and there were no issues. Turned it on again later in the day and nothing happened. Just put the voltmeter on it and it read 13.38. Anyone run into this or have any thoughts of what may be happening? Thank you for any comment..

• Wow
Reactions: OBN

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know that machine, but all my machines I've ever had have had some sort of battery charge indicator. As a rule of thumb, I recharge mine after every trip. Never had one go pffft that way.

OP
OP
Deep Seeker

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you. I have a charger with indicator and have been charging similarly. At first I thought a battery issue, now I'm thinking possibly the on/threshold switch..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I have a charger with indicator and have been charging similarly. At first I thought a battery issue, now I'm thinking possibly the on/threshold switch..

Check your charger adapter, make sure the gap in the pin halves are the same at tip as at bottom. Check the voltage on the 2 charging pins before plugging it in, it should be at least close to 13.5 volts min, wiggle it to be sure it is making good contact. Check the excal battery cable that plugs into the battery, make sure again there is same gap in the pin halves at the tip as at the base wiggle cable when plugged in to see if power cuts on and off..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Deep Seeker

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you very much. Great advice. Will do.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check your charger adapter, make sure the gap in the pin halves are the same at tip as at bottom. Check the voltage on the 2 charging pins before plugging it , it should be at least 13.5 volts min, wiggle it to be sure it is making good contact. Check the excal battery cable that plugs into the battery, make sure again there is same gap in the pin halves at tip as at the base.
I was going to say check your connections very carefullt

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm with TH, wiggle that cable. Excaliburs are famous for having issues with the connectors and specially the cable itself. The internal wires (Brown + and Blue - ) break, sometimes you can buy a little more time if you bend them and tie wrap a certain way where they connect but your taking a chance.

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Boat: 20ft Four Winns w/92 V8 5.0L Cobra Mustang engine
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post deleted, FYI, per our rules there must always be a charter member involved in a sale.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread