Expected types of clues

OP
OP
T

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
I live in the area of the "Overton Stone" so decided to go out and have a look. Its very easy to get to only a 500 or so metre walk from a parking spot. A few things bother me about its authenticity. It is right at the location of what used to be a popular spot to go for sight seeing an picnics called "the churn". I have spent most of my life in this area and no one has ever mentioned it. There is another well known stone here called the runic stone. It is known by most people here. Some of the older people here say the stone (overton stone) has been there for many years. Not the carving though.

I suppose if you were an explorer though its a logical place to put a marker because it is the most westerly place in Nova Scotia. Its actually not but its very close. The more I ask around about this the more I think its a hoax.

Tom

The problem is people cannot put a reason for it being there so "it must be a hoax". The same with the Norumbega Vinland stone on the second Peninsula closest to Mahone bay. But yet both have a commonality being "Stone Carvings" and "Christianity symbols". Which is surprising for the Vinland Stone, which is based on Norse Legend.

Upnorth42

Sep 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem is people cannot put a reason for it being there so "it must be a hoax". The same with the Norumbega Vinland stone on the second Peninsula closest to Mahone bay. But yet both have a commonality being "Stone Carvings" and "Christianity symbols". Which is surprising for the Vinland Stone, which is based on Norse Legend.

I don't need a reason for it to be there. There are several posiblilities for that. To a new explorer they could have thought it was the end of the "new land" they would have no way to know that Maine was only 100 miles or so further West. It could be a treaty marker.

The reason I think its a hoax is that it is in a very popular sightseeing and picnic spot. The town nearby (Yarmouth) has been settled since the late 1700s. The entire area of Overton was cleared farmland not that long ago. Yet there seems to be no mention of it anywhere that I can find that is not very recent. I'f anyone can point me to a reference from an old book that mentions it I will gladly admit I'm wrong. I would like it to be old as it would be a mystery worth looking into.

The markings on the stone are very clear and there is no doubt about it being a carving. I have seen others in the past that were faint and you really had to use your imagination to figure out what they might be. For a carving of that quality in such a well traveled place and not get noticed? Seems extremely unlikely to me.

I need to rewatch the oak island show to see if they mentioned it or not but at the bottom of the carving it also says 06 07. Could that be "class of 06-07" and done as a joke? I don't remember if that was pointed out on the show or not. If anyone is interested I did take some photos of it.

Tom

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
I don't need a reason for it to be there. There are several posiblilities for that. To a new explorer they could have thought it was the end of the "new land" they would have no way to know that Maine was only 100 miles or so further West. It could be a treaty marker.

The reason I think its a hoax is that it is in a very popular sightseeing and picnic spot. The town nearby (Yarmouth) has been settled since the late 1700s. The entire area of Overton was cleared farmland not that long ago. Yet there seems to be no mention of it anywhere that I can find that is not very recent. I'f anyone can point me to a reference from an old book that mentions it I will gladly admit I'm wrong. I would like it to be old as it would be a mystery worth looking into.

The markings on the stone are very clear and there is no doubt about it being a carving. I have seen others in the past that were faint and you really had to use your imagination to figure out what they might be. For a carving of that quality in such a well traveled place and not get noticed? Seems extremely unlikely to me.

I need to rewatch the oak island show to see if they mentioned it or not but at the bottom of the carving it also says 06 07. Could that be "class of 06-07" and done as a joke? I don't remember if that was pointed out on the show or not. If anyone is interested I did take some photos of it.

Tom

The area has not that long ago become a popular picnic spot, and before that it was farmland. People on Oak Island have been looking for treasure since 1795 but yet there are people on the mainland near Oak Island that have no idea what's going on with that island, and that was from David Blankenship. Most people, really don't care about these carvings unless something significant is attached to it. The man who said it was a "Treaty" between the MikM'aq Indians and the Portuguese Templar. The First Nation didn't put things in writing, that's was the European input. Also, because the Portuguese settled into the area does not mean that they were responsible for that carving. As for the quality of the carving, there are too many factors that contribute to the stone erosion, and the first and for most is how deep the carving was in the beginning. As for the 06 07, never seen that on the stone but how does it compare to the rest of the carving.

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The area has not that long ago become a popular picnic spot, and before that it was farmland. People on Oak Island have been looking for treasure since 1795 but yet there are people on the mainland near Oak Island that have no idea what's going on with that island, and that was from David Blankenship. Most people, really don't care about these carvings unless something significant is attached to it. The man who said it was a "Treaty" between the MikM'aq Indians and the Portuguese Templar. The First Nation didn't put things in writing, that's was the European input. Also, because the Portuguese settled into the area does not mean that they were responsible for that carving. As for the quality of the carving, there are too many factors that contribute to the stone erosion, and the first and for most is how deep the carving was in the beginning. As for the 06 07, never seen that on the stone but how does it compare to the rest of the carving.

I have a friend in Nova Scotia who has a family farm that he has been on for years and has only recently found a large carved stone. He and some others and I might add myself, are only now trying to decipher the carvings. I am sworn not to mention the location, but my point is that these things are not always discovered as soon as somebody walks by.
Cheers, Loki

Upnorth42

Sep 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok here are the photos. these were taken last Friday.

I did forget to mention there are also symbols or letters with the 06 07.

DSC_0790.jpg DSC_0792.jpg

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, here's a general type of question. What type of "Clues" or "Symbols" would you expect to find associated with the "Templar Treasure"?

One of these maybe?

A Hooked X 0602161553.jpg

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hey all, here's a general type of question. What type of "Clues" or "Symbols" would you expect to find associated with the "Templar Treasure"?

Everyone jumps straight on the religeous carvings. There are always more and perhaps more information in the other work around them. You have to look at the entire structure as a whole. They say several ships left at the same time. And went to scotland. But it only takes one ship to arrive to have an influence.

Upnorth42

Sep 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FAKE ! stone on left is a sick joke

I think both stones are fake for the reasons I mentioned in an earlier post.

This area seems to be a magnet for mysterious stones. There were two others found within a mile or so of these ones.

OP
OP
T

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
No, I don't believe them to be a fake.....look to the west wall of Rosslyn Chapel near Edinburgh Scotland. There is the window with the round window with the cross in it. You see, Rosslyn Chapel was founded in 1446 AD, roughly 148 years after the "Presumed" voyage of Sir Henry Sinclair. Look at the "Green Man" in Rosslyn Chapel, Some say the "green Man" is a "pagan" symbol of the earth or nature. Other's as do I believe it is a symbol to bridge between "Old" and "New" beliefs. Look to the "Norumbega Vinland Stone" on the North side of the "Second Peninsula" at the south end of Mahone bay.

View attachment 1349574

A "Viking" myth with one exception....The Knight killing "Fafnir" wears the symbol of "Christianity" on his back. This "Stone" would be considered a "Bridge" between old and new belief. But as it is meant in the "Old beliefs" as being a "Marker" or "Monument" to an achievement so is it meant in the "New beliefs" to be the same. Though it does not say "Who" accomplished the task or "What" the task was. The "Where" is "Past" that "Stone" when your looking at that carving.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
...roughly 148 years after the "Presumed" voyage of Sir Henry Sinclair.

Sinclair was not a knight.

At least we're not calling him a prince around here anymore. Progress, however slow, is still progress.

OP
OP
T

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
Sinclair was not a knight.

At least we're not calling him a prince around here anymore. Progress, however slow, is still progress.

Not all Knight's Templar's were "Knights"....Just as not all Freemasons are "Masons".....Sigurd was not a Knight either, he was "Hero" of Norse Mythology. But who is to say that Sinclair was not a "Templar". I merely called the figure on the Norumbega Vinland Stone a "Knight"....my bad....never said Sinclair was....

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Not to mention being the twice-married father of at least 11 children; The Templars were celibate.

OP
OP
T

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
The Templars were disbanded in 1312. Henry Sinclair was born in 1345.

Why would anyone believe that they disbanded? Because they faded out of the public eye? What would any of you do if you were hunted by country and church? Myself, falling back to regroup isn't a bad idea and going underground as it were make a lot more sense.

OP
OP
T

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
Not to mention being the twice-married father of at least 11 children; The Templars were celibate.
The Catholic church requiredcelibacy from 1079, and the Knights Templars were founded in 1119. Celibacyonly requires that they do not marry, so it was fairly common for priests tolive with a "housekeeper" for many years.

The templars took vows of vows ofpoverty, chastity, piety, and obedience. Most joined for life, but it was alsopossible to join for a set amount of time. While compliance with the povertyvows were spotty, a substantial majority took their vows quite seriously. Mostmembers in Europe were not combatants (in actual numbers, only about 10% of theorder were knights), but administered the lands of people who were away oncrusade, and also helped gather funding for those who were fighting.

Source(s): The Templars: The Dramatic History of theKnights Templar, the Most Powerful Military Order of the Crusades by Piers PaulRead

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread