Explorer2 coils for trash area

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Try the Minelab 8inch coil or contact, Sunray dealer they do a small coil I think its only 5inch but it is good in high trash sites.Sorry cant help you on price,try Dixie detectors for price.Seeya Neilo ;D

OP
OP
B

bluefind

Apr 25, 2006
Salem,Ohio
Thanks Neilo, I have been reading your posts for a couple of months, you are very informative,and willing to share your knowledge.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I have a 5 inch excellerator that I like very much but have heard everyone say that the Sunray is the tops for the Explorer. They have an X5, X8, and X12 that are designed for the explorer. They a little pricey but people swear by them. HH Cal

Bebop

Jul 14, 2006
Thompson UT.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100/Explorer XS/ Garrett GTI-1500/GTA-1000/Grand Master Hunyer III/White Goldmaster II
I use a Explorer XS and I detected a can dump with my 10.5" coil and I did not fine much, then I used my 8" coil and I found three coins, so I went back over the area again with my 5" excellerator coil, and I found over 35 coins, so that is that. PS. When you get into heavy trash area you might want to use a costum discrimination pattern so you do not hear all that trash. The heaver the trash, the smaller the filed of view you want. But don't go to small, you will block out all your coins, and test your costum pattern on deep coins because on some detectors they will see a coin different at different depths. and put the detector in manual sensitivity or you won't get much better in depth. You can check out my topic at this lenk. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,43643.msg310782.html#msg310782

Clifford Powell

Nov 13, 2005
New Mexico
I too wanted coils for high trash areas. I just ordered a 4.5 x 7 Inch EXcelerator for these areas. Although I have a 5 inch I like the shape of this coil to get on/around bushes and other obstacles. Although my 5 inch is an EXcelerator coil (bought for cheap off the big E) I hear the 5 inch from Sun Ray can't be beat (like all of their coils) and is a favorite for these areas.

Coil Coverages
WOT coil = about 178 square inches
Sun Ray 12.5 = about 123 square inches
Stock coil = about 79 square inches
8 inch coil = about 50 square inches
4x7 inch coil = about 25 square inches (too long since algebra class - forget the formula for an ellipse ::))
5 inch coil about 20 square inches

As you can see the 5 inch covers about 75% less than the stock coil so it picks between tagets much better.

I will order the WOT next. The 15, 10, 4x7 and 5 inch coils should just about fill all my coil needs but I may get the 12 inch as the weight is about the same as the stock coil but coverage is a little bigger.

Bebop

Jul 14, 2006
Thompson UT.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100/Explorer XS/ Garrett GTI-1500/GTA-1000/Grand Master Hunyer III/White Goldmaster II
This is how I see trash coils, I take four flatten ten cans and put them in a crass cross pattern and see how close I can get them together before I lose a dime being mask by the ten cans. A 5.5" round coil can fit better in a hight trash area then a 4x10" coil. You get a 4" one way but a 10" coil the other way. If the target are deep then a large coil is good and a small coil will not go deep enough.

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
Bebop said:
This is how I see trash coils, I take four flatten ten cans and put them in a crass cross pattern and see how close I can get them together before I lose a dime being mask by the ten cans. A 5.5" round coil can fit better in a hight trash area then a 4x10" coil. You get a 4" one way but a 10" coil the other way. If the target are deep then a large coil is good and a small coil will not go deep enough.

'Cept when was the last time the site had flattened cans in a cross pattern, a 4x10" coil is narrower in one direction than the 5", so for half the trash it is better than the 5" for the other half the 5" is better... I cannot see how anyone, even myself can make a definitive assessment of coils in a concocted hunting situation, I tried coin masking with nails and because I knew the coin was there I tried to find it, when in reality the signal would not have made me stop and dig. I had a friend that said he could tell a gold ring from a pull tab. It was all good till I started hiding the ring and pull tab and varied the depths (like in real hunting conditions) it was a humbling lesson for him.

I have been hitting a really nail infested site, I went over the same area with 2 different coils, 4x10" and a 5", the 5" coil didn't reveal anything that the 4x10" didn't, so by field testing in actual hunting conditions there was no apparent gain in the smaller coil target wise. The loss was in my ability to cover ground with the 5" compared to the 4x10 and with the oval coil it slid across the ground better as the 5" round kept hanging up on dirt ridges from the earth movers. I have been in a few sites where the 5" coil revealed many more targets, so testing at different sites is a must.

Smaller isn't always better.

Bebop

Jul 14, 2006
Thompson UT.
Detector(s) used
You gain 1" in one direction and you lose 5" in the other direction .Here is a photo of a can dump that I have been detecting. The trash on the surface is only 1/3 of what is there, the rest of the trash goes down to about 4" or so. Buy putting the cans in a cross pattern it will show you the smallest area your coil can handle and still fine a coin. In real life there is three dimensional but for a quick test two dimensional is good enough. This is to show you the difference in surface area that difference coils have. Here is my results at a can dump real hunting conditions. I started with a 10.5" coil and found no coins. Then I used a 8" coil and found 2 penny, 1 dime, and 1 half dollar, 1 military button. Then I went over the area with my 5" coil and found 22 Penny's, 5 dimes, 2 tokens, 1 British penny, 1 nickel, 1 play dime, 1 silver ring, 2 quarter, and still going on. My brother used a 4"x10" coil and he has found four or five coins. I wood call that a big difference in coils.

Attachments

• CRW_4048_RJx.JPG
    CRW_4048_RJx.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 579

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bebop said:
You gain 1" in one direction and you lose 5" in the other direction .Here is a photo of a can dump that I have been detecting. The trash on the surface is only 1/3 of what is there, the rest of the trash goes down to about 4" or so. Buy putting the cans in a cross pattern it will show you the smallest area your coil can handle and still fine a coin. In real life there is three dimensional but for a quick test two dimensional is good enough. This is to show you the difference in surface area that difference coils have. Here is my results at a can dump real hunting conditions. I started with a 10.5" coil and found no coins. Then I used a 8" coil and found 2 penny, 1 dime, and 1 half dollar, 1 military button. Then I went over the area with my 5" coil and found 22 Penny's, 5 dimes, 2 tokens, 1 British penny, 1 nickel, 1 play dime, 1 silver ring, 2 quarter, and still going on. My brother used a 4"x10" coil and he has found four or five coins. I wood call that a big difference in coils.

I would take a rake to that area and clean all of that trash up, then detect it.

Bebop

Jul 14, 2006
Thompson UT.
Detector(s) used
My brother does that and goes over it with his 4"x10" coil, and has not did him any good, because the trash is under the ground to. I found one dime after he has rake and going over the are again.

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
I was just saying that the smallest coil isn't always the best in super trashy areas.
I too have found an increase while downsizing coils in trash but in some conditions you can go too small.

That place is loaded with junk! :o
Are you running any discrimination?
From what I understand the Excellerator coil is very close to the Sunray's performance but is about 30% less deep...

Bebop

Jul 14, 2006
Thompson UT.
Detector(s) used
Ya, I'm running discrimination. I made up a custom discrimination with all my coins and token and some rings, so I won't here all that other junk. I run the power at 15 to 20, it depends on how much false target I get. I move the coil slowly so I can pick out the good stuff from the trash. I would like to try one of those Sunray's coils to compair them. Yes you are right in that Small coils can only go so deep. When your target are to deep for a small coil then you have to use a larger coil, but larger coil cover to large of a area and can not pick out the coins do to all the trash, so you have to use two or three coils to go over a heavy trash area. I started out with my 10.5" then I used my 8" and ended up with my 5", in this site the 5" is best because the trash only goes down to 4" to 5", so the small coil works good.

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
I have the Excellerator 5" coil, my detector dealer gave it to me and I think it is great for a little scrubber. It killed my other coils in a burned house site, it worked like your experience above, the coin totals told the tale.

HH

JW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread