Iffy signals?

Dreamweaver43

May 25, 2006
Wisconsin
Kind of a weird thought but lately I've been trying to dig "iffy" signals, thinking I will find deep good stuff.

This is how it has been going. I get a "bouncing" signal. It gives some good sound, but also changes or nulls out when I do the 90 degree check. Then I go back and get the "iffy" tone. So I dig, pretty sure it's a no-go....and always is. I've yet to find a item that gave me......at least to my experience, an "iffy" signal and then a good deep find. So when I see post of guys going out and digging all the "iffies", and posting some nice stuff..........I get paranoid that I've been leaving stuff behind?

The question I'm wondering, what do "iffy" signals sound like? Or could you help with giving me examples or scenarios of where I should dig, or not?

When I get a solid signal......I'm probably have a good ID on the target 75% of the time. Meaning I'm sure I've locked on and identified a good target. Digging obvious trash targets also.

Thanks ahead for any thoughts!

Dreamweaver

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to me,
for the most part, Iffy Signals are a Good High pitch tone one way & a Low tone or null, the other. signals that Break up, but have that Super High pitch tone in there
that says Silver.

and Multi tone signals.

Nails and other small pieces of Iron cause most iffy signals for me.

however once in awhile a Piece if trash & a Nice old Silver Dime
in the same hole will do it also.

I can't Explain, it's an Aquired "Sense" from frequent use.
but after awhile you will know ahead of time IF it is a piece of trash
or a piece of trash & a coin in the same hole.

but if your like me, you'll keep digging those nails, just in case.

R

rvbvetter

Like jeff said. But sometimes even though I know better. I'll get hung up digging and wasting time and energy on signals that my detector is trying to tell me are no good. Only to end up prooving it was right. Smart alleck detector!! It always has to be right. HH

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Funny someone should question the "iffy" sounds, as I was just thinking that yesterday. After all this "dreaded, but very needed" rain...I went to the front yard yesterday to detect. I keep hitting those "iffy" sounds. Keep in mind, I have detected every inch of my front yard and I am still getting sounds and still finding clad (mostly pennies). I will get a strong "coin" sound in one direction, but the next direction, I get either nothing or an iron sound. Not a strong signal, just one "DING" (for coin) or "BLIP" (for iron). Most times when I have dug that spot, I get a nail :(...way I look at it...one less nail for me to dig :)...but some holes I can't find anything :(.

I am wondering if that means it's alot deeper than my detector is telling me? I am still learning my detector and trying to understand the sounds and trying to learn to pin point my sounds. I even throw things down and scan over them to understand different sounds.

Actually, one "iffy" sound did land me an old broken spoon in my yard :)...that was neat to me!!!

Yesterday, I got alot of "nickel" sounds, usually for me...that means a nickel is there, but yesterday, I was getting scraps of metal of sort. Looked kinda' like tin siding, possibly pieces of an old shed??? Don't know. Where my house is located at...a barn was in that area back when this was a farm. I still don't know the exact location of the barn....still researching.

So, I too, am wondering...leaving behind those "iffy" sounds, I may be leaving behind lots of great finds that all you folks on here find. Maybe that song "Looking for "treasures" in all the wrong places" should be my theme song.

BTW, wish me luck...got permission to detect one of the naval bases here. Keep your fingers crossed!!!! I will dig every "iffy" sound today :)

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
I dont know what detector you are using but with the Explorer some deep signal will be iffy and when you start digging the signal disappears.This mainly happens in discrimination mode, if you switch to pinpoint generally the signal will come back. I think it has to do with the halo affect around the target which makes the target bigger in the soil. Once you start digging and disturb the ground it breaks up this affect and the target becomes smaller and harder to detect. Another reason for losing a target is if it is a coin and it has been disturbed by digging in the ground and turned on its edge making it too small to detect. My advice is to keep digging, generally if the signal is good indicated by its tone but is breaking up this is a very deep signal on the edge of the detectors maximum depth range. On occasions like this is where having a good pinpoint probe is very handy searcing out targets in deep holes .seeya Neilo ;D

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IFFY SIGNALS!

Boy oh boy! I really cannot say dig or don,t dig. The first signal I got from my EXP II was iffy. A gold ring reading jumped on the meter display 3 to 4 numbers, very eratic. The other day got iffy signal by a slide in a play area. As it was old tires I scraped away a little to investigate. Saw 2 newer pennies, tried again , more iffy signals, scraped a little more, 3 more pennies. Kept going until no sound came from the area. Total 10 newer pennies. Why? Maybe the medium, old tires not dirt. I know that a newer coin will not give as good a signal as one that has been buried a while. Any way I dig a lot more signals now and probably will keep doing so.

Ed Donovan

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I generally know 99% of the time that it is going to be a junk piece of iron based on how and when it nulls, but I still tend to dig just because you never know what it might be.

Some iffy signals that I have dug are deep indians or wheats that only read from one direction and have the depth meter all the way at the bottom of the screen showing how deep it is. When I go at it from any other angle it tells me that there is just nothing in the ground at all. But I dug one up today that was a neat old good for 5 cents token at about 8" or so deep. I am guessing it was on edge and rang up only from one direction because of that.

But from my experience.... if it nulls, there is a good chance it's iron.

But I have dug some coins that nulled because they were laying within an inch or so of an old rusty nail.

DIG DIG DIG! :)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neilo is right. With Excals an Soverigns there is a ramp up and a ramp down to many sounds and you have to learn them.

HH,
Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread