What's new

Extraordinary Catlinite Tobacco Board

intensecrasher

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2014
Messages
258
Reaction score
247
Golden Thread
0
Location
California
Detector(s) used
Ground-penetrating radar...LOL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This pipe stone tobacco board was found in two pieces about 5 months apart. After I got home and got the second piece cleaned up I realized what I had! The pictograph is lightly carved and it took me awhile to be able to see the whole thing. I went back many times but never found any other pieces. Extraordinary find!!!

P4070013.webpP4070013 - Copy.webp
 
Upvote 0
Very cool piece. Looks like a deer sort of. Would be great to see more of it,keep looking! Was this a Ca find or Iowa?
 
Very cool piece. Looks like a deer sort of. Would be great to see more of it,keep looking! Was this a Ca find or Iowa?

It was an Iowa find. I originally thought it was a buffalo because of the humped back, but there are no horns. Very well could be a deer.
 
neat find,i can never find any art piece thanks for sharing
 
Just from what I can tell the v shape are the horns:icon_scratch:
 
Way cool!!! The feet don't appear (even stylized as they are) to be those of an ungulate. More like those of a bird. just my 2 cents.
What part of Iowa, btw?
Again a great couple of finds. You are real lucky to find two that fit together.
 
Way cool!!! The feet don't appear (even stylized as they are) to be those of an ungulate. More like those of a bird. just my 2 cents.
What part of Iowa, btw?
Again a great couple of finds. You are real lucky to find two that fit together.

North West part of the state
 
Thats a different type of find but very cool. I hope you can find the rest.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom