Eye Candy for Spanish Colonial Silver Lovers

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
You might want to rebury all of the coins to avoid Spain claiming ownership stating that one or more of their' ships were lost somewhere in Pennsylvania and that the coins belong to them.:icon_scratch::dontknow: They will likely use the State of Florida and it's Archies to back up their claim.

Frank

Last edited:

DirtyMike&Tab

Apr 4, 2017
Fenwick Island, De & Harper's Ferry, Wv
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Mx Sport, & At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I got into an old house site at one of the hunts at Coles Hill

Ah ha, I knew that was you. I'm Dirty Mike. We have met before. You dug those near that creek below the old farm house on that rise. I seen you guys up there and stayed away. And remember seeing you had found those cut silvers. Beleive it or not that has made me start hunting house sites. I was almost only civil war relics back then. And started seeing some old coins here and there and the accidental house site sometimes. But when I seen your cut silvers I got the itch. Unfortunately I yet to have found any cut silvers but I have found quite a few that are not cut. I'll give you some of that credit. Thanks brother and hope to see you in the fields again one day. Have been to any DIVs recently?

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah ha, I knew that was you. I'm Dirty Mike. We have met before. You dug those near that creek below the old farm house on that rise. I seen you guys up there and stayed away. And remember seeing you had found those cut silvers. Beleive it or not that has made me start hunting house sites. I was almost only civil war relics back then. And started seeing some old coins here and there and the accidental house site sometimes. But when I seen your cut silvers I got the itch. Unfortunately I yet to have found any cut silvers but I have found quite a few that are not cut. I'll give you some of that credit. Thanks brother and hope to see you in the fields again one day. Have been to any DIVs recently?

Hi Mike, I remember you. Didn't you dig a seated half at the Brandy Rock Wisconsin camp? I saw you in the field right after you dug it. I found the cut Spanish at the second Coles Hill hunt. They opened up some bottom ground behind the farm house for that hunt. John Velke was riding with us and he showed me a few early flat buttons he had dug after day one. I asked him if he spent any time in the area, and he said no, he just walked through it. I told him we need to go back there first thing in the morning because it might be an old house site. Sure enough buttons started popping out left and right. I told John "I bet there is a cut Spanish silver in here", and a short time later I dug my first. I also dug a nice King George II there. Everything was on a little slope right on the edge of the field. People up on the flat couldn't see us. We stayed in that spot all day. The grass was pretty high and clumpy, I'm sure there is still a lot left in there.

I'm glad that got you turned on to hunting colonial house sites, they can be a lot of fun. I have even dug some nice colonial stuff in Jefferson County, WV, including two Rev War buttons. BTW, I'm done with DIV hunts. Been to at least 13 of them and met a lot of nice people, but I traded my TDI plus cash to Keith Leppert for an XP Deus. My last DIV was the second hunt at the Spillman farm.

Last edited:

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Remarkable collection. Lots and lots of hours of metal detecting to amass. I need to do an update myself. Sorry to say, I dont have a proper "bit" in my whole collection. I watched a friend dig a 2 bit (1/4 cut of pre 1772 pillar dollar) but all mine are cut pistareens (thats ok too lol). I'll put finding one of those bits on my todo lists.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Really a nice grouping, numismatically... The star is that half-cut of a pillar-style 8 Reales. You see eighth-cuts and quarter-cuts of pillars, and some half-cuts of portrait-style 8R, but not often a halved pillar 8R.
I was just about to post again to say that cut half was my favorite of the whole collection. I guess thats a common reaction? I'd love to find a bust 8 reales sure but the half cut pillar 8 reales gets my vote. Makes my eyes bug out to tell the truth.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just about to post again to say that cut half was my favorite of the whole collection. I guess thats a common reaction? I'd love to find a bust 8 reales sure but the half cut pillar 8 reales gets my vote. Makes my eyes bug out to tell the truth.
The half cut Pillar 8 reales was found on a French and Indian War site. I got a signal under a rotten log, kicked it out of the way, and there it was laying there with two coppers. I wish I had a picture of it, but that was around 1995. All of my cut pieces from 8 reales came from four different French & Indian War sites over an 80 mile stretch of the old military road leading to Fort Pitt. I think that soldiers were paid with these bits.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread