Eyeball Find While Walking Along Highway.

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdee Folks ! :hello:

Attached is a scanned image of a part I eyeballed in the gravel along the edge of the highway while taking my morning walk and I would appreciate your help with what it's called (part name) and what it's used for (application).

Since this part was laying along the highway, that's a good indication that it came off of a car or truck.

The image is a little larger than actual size, so I added the dimensions measured with a stainless steel pocket scale, and the weight using my US BALANCE Professional Precision Pocket Scale -1000XR.

Due to previous employment in the metal working industry, I'm familiar with hardness testers and since this part is very heavy for it's size, indicating high density, the little dot below the "M" trademark on the Front side appears to be an indent made by a Rockwell hardness tester and I'm guessing the part is in the range of 50-60 on the Rockwell "C" scale. This is very hard, but the part probably still retains enough ductility to prevent cracking. Also, the metal alloy has some percentage of iron content, as the part quickly grabs a neodymium magnet.

The above encapsulates my non-professional opinion, for what it's worth.

Thanks in advance for any guesses, clues, or positive I.D. you can offer like the part name, application and/or manufacturing company.

ToddB64

Attachments

• Metal Part Found by Todd Brock,Scan_20200326 (8).png
    Metal Part Found by Todd Brock,Scan_20200326 (8).png
    55.4 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a glue-on anchor for a rear view mirror in a vehicle. It glues to the windshield

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A quick visual reminds me for some reason of an anodization plate. Like on a marine motor. But I don't see a way to attach it unless it slid into a bracket.

Edit , good I.D. Cudamark!
Doh , we've about all seen those pieces....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions