What is this 1885 rock

corvette99

Mar 27, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 2020-03-03_084007 Rock dug out of BeckeySpring by John J Whipple great grandson Jerry Mattson - .jpg
    2020-03-03_084007 Rock dug out of BeckeySpring by John J Whipple great grandson Jerry Mattson - .jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 107

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Picture is from a rock supposedly dug out of hillside in about 1885.
Hillside appears to be sandstone, is this a sandstone rock? Or basalt? or? Thx Doug

I'm not a rock person Doug, but it is a cool looking rock!

Welcome to the site..:hello:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

corvette99

Mar 27, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn’t that the type of rock you find ores in ?

Thanks to those who replied about my request to identify the rock .... FYI, I subsequently sent the rock photo to the Geology Department at our local University of Wisconsin campus, and a Professor identified it as an "iron concretion" follows:

"The rock you have photographed is an iron concretion from the Mt. Simon Formation. Most of the rock in the area is the lower portion of the Eau Claire Formation, which is just above the Mt. Simon Formation. The iron concretions form from Fe-bearing water moving in the groundwater system becoming oxidized and depositing iron oxide (Fe2O3). They are very common throughout the Eau Claire area within the Mt. Simon Formation."

Mystery solved.
Doug

Upvote 0

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not seeing a concretion, nor does it appear to contain concretions. Also, that doesn't account for the chalcedony agate material. Might want to check out coldwater agates ?

Coldwater agates did not form under volcanic processes, but instead formed within the limestone and dolomite strata of marine origin. Like volcanic-origin agates, Coldwater Agates formed from silica gels that lined pockets and seams within the bedrock. These agates are typically less colorful, with banded lines of grey and white chalcedony.

Coldwater Agate.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread