F2 or F4

Mezrein503

Jul 7, 2010
Hillboro
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, got a question. I'm pretty much sold on getting either the F2 or F4, was going to go garrett, but the TID that the F2 and 4 offer in the midlevel price range have sold me. But, I've been hearing that the F2 has a bump-beep problem. Normally Im hunting in fairly level areas, but now and again I'll hit a place that has some obsticles that Im bound to hit. My question is there's an awesome deal on Kellyco website for an F2 that comes with 3 coils, and a bunch of extra's for 275, or I can get the F4 with a few less extras at 399. I'd rather save the cash and get the F2 with all the extra's, but Im worried about this bump issue. Does the F4 have this same bump issue? Is it worth it to get the F4 over the F2 even with the near 150 dollar increase in price? Here's the links to both Im consider

F2
http://www.kellycodetectors.com/fisher/fisher_f2buy_3coil.htm

F4
http://www.kellycodetectors.com/fisher/fisher-f4buy.htm - Option 2

Until I hit something awesome while detecting, this is going to be my only MD purchase, as like the rest of the world's population, Im hurting in the cash department...

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an F2 and it doesn't have any bump issues. It's a great little machine.

If I had to choose over I would go with the F4 just because you can ground balance it.

OP
OP
M

Mezrein503

Jul 7, 2010
Hillboro
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in the western part of Oregon, is ground balance really going to be worth the extra 150?

DavyJonesLocker

Apr 26, 2010
Roanoke VA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
I just picked up the new F2 (black version) with the 8 & 4" coils plus F Pinpointer for about $ 200 in change. No bump problems,sweet little detector.Found a Andrew Jackson $1 coin today,with it going real deep in soil today with pass two days rain.Had to set sens. at three was going to deep to dig today.And handles EMI with no problem,both F2 and 4 are nice.If you have xtra money get F4 with GB if not F2 is great for the money, it a fun machine I like the VDI readout very accurate.I like its VDI better than my Deleon VDI.

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
Hi,
I think I'm one of the biggest complainers about the 'bump and beep issue'. When I first got my F2, I was learning a new breed of technology, coming from the old 1200 series. I found that when the coil is wet or covered with grass the machine falses a lot. I can't run with more than 3 bars of sensitivity ever. It does sound off when you bump an object, especially when the batteries are getting low. I did like the F2 and got a great deal on another one so a friend could hunt with me. It acts the same way. After using the machine for a while, you really don't pay much attention to the 'bump and beep' thing.
I later bought an F4 specifically for the ground balance. I haven't hunted with the F2 since. You still have the VDI numbers, only they are much smaller. Plus, the ground balance and threshold adjustments make the detector run really smooth. The 11DD" coil on the F4 is far better than the ones on the F2. Pinpointing is not quite as easy, but not hard at all with a bit of practice. It does not give false signals at all. It uses batteries faster than the F2, but you can get deeper targets too.
There really is no comparison here. The F4 is a superior machine to the F2. Get you the 4" coil to go with it too, they can get closer to metal than you can with the DD coil.

OP
OP
M

Mezrein503

Jul 7, 2010
Hillboro
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love this site, so much useful information. All the folks here are great :hello2: I wish the F4 would come down in price just a bit, then this would be a no brainer for me. Slow, you mentioned that once it gets some grass on the coil it starts to false, would a coil cover help cope with this, or even stop this problem? Also, I would like to be able to dip it in shallow water, say no deeper than 1 or 2 feet, I've got a lot of creeks and rivers around me, is the fisher going to be ok with its coil submerged?

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
I always use a coil cover and the problem persists. I don't have an explanation for this. When I go out in the morning with the dew on the ground, the grass clippings get all over the top of the coil. That's when the falsing starts. I had thought I had a defective unit, but the second one acts the same. They are both roughly the same age (02-10). Truthfully it may have just been a batch of funky machines. Not so much a problem when the ground is dry. It happens with all three coils, so it is perplexing. I use the same 4" coil on the F4 with no problems at all. Once I got used to it, it wasn't too bad. They have evidently made some changes since I got mine, so I wouldn't be afraid of the F2. Heck, bumps and beeps aside, the thing works great! My Ace beeps when it's bumped every once in a while too. The coils are waterproof, so they'll be ok in a couple of inches of water. Just don't get the control box wet or it's curtains for that detector.

They are both good machines. Yes the F4 costs more, but it offers you much more versatility. I bought mine used because I couldn't pay the price at that time. My only gripe with the F4 are the small numbers. I have trouble seeing them sometimes. I'll agree that for the price, the F2 is a hard package to pass up. Just have fun and enjoy whatever detector you choose. Learn it well and you'll love it.

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mezrein503 said:
I love this site, so much useful information. All the folks here are great :hello2: I wish the F4 would come down in price just a bit, then this would be a no brainer for me. Slow, you mentioned that once it gets some grass on the coil it starts to false, would a coil cover help cope with this, or even stop this problem? Also, I would like to be able to dip it in shallow water, say no deeper than 1 or 2 feet, I've got a lot of creeks and rivers around me, is the fisher going to be ok with its coil submerged?

My experience with a coil cover taught me to leave it off. (On a different machine ) I got moisture and sand trapped in it and I thought the machine was broke it was wigging out so much.
My F2 after 2 years shows very little sign of wear if any at all on the coil. Now if I was hunting gravel or coarse sand all the time I might consider one but for grass I see no need for one.
I've taken my machine into water up to my knees with no problems just don't get the brain box wet.

OP
OP
M

Mezrein503

Jul 7, 2010
Hillboro
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so that covers the coil question, no pun intended, :) Last question and Ill be sold on my choice. How well does it perform in wet and dry sand? I dont often go to beaches, fresh or salt water, but now and again I do, and I'd like to be able to detect. My bounty hunter tracker II, even for as low entry machines as it is, didnt false out hardly at all on both fresh and salt water beaches I have taken it to, will the F2 perform as well?

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've done freshwater beaches and it was just like doing dry ground.
I think you run into problems mainly with saltwater beaches because of saltwater being highly conductive.

floodcitykid

Nov 3, 2008
Appomattox coVirginia
Detector(s) used
whites eagle spectrum
fisher gold bug
DavyJonesLocker said:
I just picked up the new F2 (black version) with the 8 & 4" coils plus F Pinpointer for about $ 200 in change. No bump problems,sweet little detector.Found a Andrew Jackson $1 coin today,with it going real deep in soil today with pass two days rain.Had to set sens. at three was going to deep to dig today.And handles EMI with no problem,both F2 and 4 are nice.If you have xtra money get F4 with GB if not F2 is great for the money, it a fun machine I like the VDI readout very accurate.I like its VDI better than my Deleon VDI.

Hi, couldn't help but notice, you are down in Roanoke? I plan on getting the f-2 and do some relic hunting. Have yoou dug any C/W bullets with yours? How deep does it go on say a dime? Minarlized soil a problem. I'll be using it in Appomatox Lynchburg area, soil should be close.

Thanks

Flood City Kid

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hullo

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the GB on the F4 ground balances the no motion all metal mode only.

This mode does not offer TID, so imho, the F2 would be a better choice.

HH

Grumpy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread