🥇 BANNER Failed Oil-Seed Rape - Day 2 - CELTIC GOLD & even more Fibulatastic...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On Monday I felt a Celtic gold coming after a few good signs & then when Cru'dad got the silver towards the end of the hunt, I knew we stood a better chance. So yesterday I booked today off as holiday, stating to my work colleague that I would find a Celtic Gold today. Not something I normally throw about, so I'm very happy with the result of nearly 6 hours gridding a huge area.
We only targeted 1 Celtic Gold for the year, so job done with a really good looking RARE type that I need.:icon_thumright:

2 Scrappies
Medieval Leather Mount (Beast head)
6 mostly broken 1st C AD Fibula
3 Celtic Fibula
RARE - Tasciovanus Hidden Faces Gold Stater, circa 20BC.
Here is some interesting speculation about the bull head (Bucranium) above the horse:
''The bucranium on this superb gold stater indicates that Tasciovanos was also aware of the sacral nature of his kingship and, like Augustus, probably performed some priestly duties within the Druid system, including perhaps the ritual sacrifice of bulls, as graphically illustrated by a bronze unit (ABC 2972) of his son Cunobelinus.''

We have covered most of where we think the Celtic site is, however we will keep gridding out-wards next time.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 11,421
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 502
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 520
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 510
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 538
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,008
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 83,965
Last edited:
Upvote 9

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wowza Banner I think all those are banners but great job Cru

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats Crusader on your 27th banner! The coin is truly spectacular and rare and I cant imagine how thrilling to see that one in the hole!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is indeed a stunning piece of gold....what a beautiful design. Congrats cru !!

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Failed Oil-Seed Rape - Day 2 - CELTIC GOLD & even more Fibulatastic...

Not sure how I missed this one but it?s a drop dead sexy coin. Congratulations on banner and thanks for sharing!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Great stuff! But.... that stater is incredible! Well done, congrats on banner!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Booyahh!

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unreal!!! Truly Remarkable Find!!!!!! Congrats!!!!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On Monday I felt a Celtic gold coming after a few good signs & then when Cru'dad got the silver towards the end of the hunt, I knew we stood a better chance. So yesterday I booked today off as holiday, stating to my work colleague that I would find a Celtic Gold today. Not something I normally throw about, so I'm very happy with the result of nearly 6 hours gridding a huge area.
We only targeted 1 Celtic Gold for the year, so job done with a really good looking RARE type that I need.:icon_thumright:

2 Scrappies
3 Celtic Fibula
Here is some interesting speculation about the bull head (Bucranium) above the horse:
''The bucranium on this superb gold stater indicates that Tasciovanos was also aware of the sacral nature of his kingship and, like Augustus, probably performed some priestly duties within the Druid system, including perhaps the ritual sacrifice of bulls, as graphically illustrated by a bronze unit (ABC 2972) of his son Cunobelinus.''

We have covered most of where we think the Celtic site is, however we will keep gridding out-wards next time.
Incredible!!!! Congrats!!!!! Wow!!!!

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

2 Scrappies
3 Celtic Fibula

Very nice coin Cru!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice coin Cru!
Good to see your still around on here.
Are you getting out detecting?

Thanks for dragging up my best memory this year, I really felt this one coming the day before.:metaldetector::laughing7:

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see your still around on here.
Are you getting out detecting?

Thanks for dragging up my best memory this year, I really felt this one coming the day before.:metaldetector::laughing7:
Yea I read that. I had that sort of thing happen quite a few times, but for hammered, never gold. No, not been detecting this year, not really corona but cancer (but gone now, at least for now) and getting married again takes all my time up. Due to the cancer had to have a brace installed in my back, so cannot lift heavy things, but metal detecting should be possible. But have to wait until the brace is fully grown into the back and that takes about a year. But physically good and still running around a lot. Did not have any pain or be tired or anything with the sickness. So it's still pretty good at 80. Never thought I would say that!

You and your dad are still going strong it seems, keep it up, maybe someday you will find a gold coin!!! That would be amazing...

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I read that. I had that sort of thing happen quite a few times, but for hammered, never gold. No, not been detecting this year, not really corona but cancer (but gone now, at least for now) and getting married again takes all my time up. Due to the cancer had to have a brace installed in my back, so cannot lift heavy things, but metal detecting should be possible. But have to wait until the brace is fully grown into the back and that takes about a year. But physically good and still running around a lot. Did not have any pain or be tired or anything with the sickness. So it's still pretty good at 80. Never thought I would say that!

You and your dad are still going strong it seems, keep it up, maybe someday you will find a gold coin!!! That would be amazing...
Sorry to hear that news other than the getting married at 80! Wow
Cru'dad is going stronger than me even with his bad knee as mine is worse. Broke my knee cap into 3 pieces whilst drunk, so I'm 7 weeks into recovery & start my Physio soon. May not detect until next year!

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that news other than the getting married at 80! Wow
Cru'dad is going stronger than me even with his bad knee as mine is worse. Broke my knee cap into 3 pieces whilst drunk, so I'm 7 weeks into recovery & start my Physio soon. May not detect until next year!
Wow, that must be one of the hardest things you have experienced in your young life, sitting at home and seeing what your dad brings along to let you view (NOT keep) and darn nice finds also! And you cannot search. What a bummer... Well on the good side is next year not far away.... It is not nice to hear you had such a bad fall, fell just the wrong way. It will heal but you must not force it, but you know that yourself. When I had something like that (not so bad) I just used the time to clean up my finds database and stuff like that. But all in all I hope you get back on your searching feet soon!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that must be one of the hardest things you have experienced in your young life, sitting at home and seeing what your dad brings along to let you view (NOT keep) and darn nice finds also! And you cannot search. What a bummer... Well on the good side is next year not far away.... It is not nice to hear you had such a bad fall, fell just the wrong way. It will heal but you must not force it, but you know that yourself. When I had something like that (not so bad) I just used the time to clean up my finds database and stuff like that. But all in all I hope you get back on your searching feet soon!
Your somewhat right. Hate not being outside FULLSTOP. Fishing & Detecting are important to me as they are in nature that I've always enjoyed, & the finding or catching is a bonus.
I detected for 10 years before Cru'dad took up my Hobby & he has always given me ALL his finds. What strength he brings to the team is his database logging, mapping & recording, so that is already covered for me.
To be fair I've not found it as bad as I expected, because previous COVID lockdowns had prepared me somewhat!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread