Garrett At Pro
Garrett GTAx 550
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jack Flynn

Oct 18, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've detected a lot of places that I told the owner I would give them everything I found just for being able to hunt the property. A little later on we would talk splitting it and after giving them hand fulls of junk they didn't even want to see what I had gotten then....:thumbsup: I have had a couple of people that would walk with me and want me to hand them everything I dug to look at it leaning over while I was on my knees digging actually and I would just hand the find straight to them. None outlasted me! LOL

OP
OP
I

Idetect

Greenie
Mar 11, 2013
Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Garrett GTAx 550
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've detected a lot of places that I told the owner I would give them everything I found just for being able to hunt the property. A little later on we would talk splitting it and after giving them hand fulls of junk they didn't even want to see what I had gotten then....:thumbsup: I have had a couple of people that would walk with me and want me to hand them everything I dug to look at it leaning over while I was on my knees digging actually and I would just hand the find straight to them. None outlasted me! LOL

None, huh? I was born and raised in the south. I can do 105 deg all day long LOL.

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think if I were detecting for a "split of the take" it is then a moneymaking venture and maybe I need to get another hobby.

I could care less if I make money or the things that I have have dollar signs. That's not why I do it.

And I would stay away from "written agreements" unless it is a paper giving you permission to hunt an area far from the landowner.
People get weird when you start busting out contracts for them to sign.

I know that Ric Savage and those guys that make up words and roll around screaming do it, but that is TV.

Last edited:

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked an amish guy to detect a property he just bought, a beautiful 1800s house that was remodeles that they were gonna destroy. He asked if I was gonna give him all my finds, I just smiled at him and said thats ok and left. I worked with a few of these amish at my old job and money is all they care about. Soulda known better.

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked with a few of these amish at my old job and money is all they care about. .

You know, some people will probably attack you and call you "racist" or "insensitive" at that comment, but I know where you are coming from.
I have been dealing with Old Ordnung Amish and some Mennonites (quite a few in my area) since I was a kid.
They are something else when it comes to business..... ::) wow.....And I will leave it at that...

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, some people will probably attack you and call you "racist" or "insensitive" at that comment, but I know where you are coming from.
I have been dealing with Old Ordnung Amish and some Mennonites (quite a few in my area) since I was a kid.
They are something else when it comes to business..... ::) wow.....And I will leave it at that...

People can say what they want but till u work or deal with them, then youll know lol ahah

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do not have a standard deal. I never go below 50/50. I ask for more and bargain from there. One way I sweeten the deal is to ask them if there is one thing they know they have lost. If I find that it is theirs free and then I keep the rest. Most are cool with that. I found a missing ring for a lady in Idaho and she was so happy I detected there for several days and kept my finds. I have also gone on hunts at National and State Battlefields where it is known up front that all stuff goes to the park. As said, I do it for the fun of the hunt more than the money, but I think people respect you more if you get something for your work. I remind them that up front they have nothing. If I walk away they will still have nothing. I am honest and tell them that for the most part I will find junk and a few coins. Sometimes they send their kids out to keep an eye on me. That's cool too.

The TV shows are fine as entertainment, but you do not find "Glory Holes" at every site.

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember an old fella in Tennessee who told me he would just go buy his own metal detector and do it himself. So I handed him mine and said go for it. Ten minutes later I was hunting his land!

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's funny GrizLeeBear! LOL!
Man, all I can say, is I'm glad I got the whole S.E. Florida beach coast to myself!
Well...... ok, myself and a few other hundred tekkerers!
laughing7.gif

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great post, got me chucklin' with that last line. I've never had anyone walk with me, now that I've read it though I'm sure I'll develop some shadows on my next permission hunt.

OP
OP
I

Idetect

Greenie
Mar 11, 2013
Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Garrett GTAx 550
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't ask because I intend to walk out empty handed. But some people need to get serious and ref the prices of relics on ebay. IF they sell it's chump change, if not "no sale'. If they really wanted to get into splits I'd like to nail down a realistic number. I'm not greedy, but I'll be damn'd if someone is gonna set me to work in their yard for free then dictate life to me too. Nor do I want them feeling jilted or stolen from. If it's in writing, everyone is satisfied and protected. I'm also taking into account that a portion of people I approach won't care what I do, because relic hunting and extraordinary finds don't register with them.

So.. If I find 2 minnie balls, they can have one. If I find a cash of a coins, then I guess we divide them on the front porch, have a beer, and sign off as fair deal, see ya tomorrow for round 2? Sound about right?

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have given landowners plenty of relics because I WANTED TO, but I never negotiate a split of anythihng. I work waaaaay to dang hard for them to sit inside drinking lemonade and watching TV to just go hand over the stuff I've dug. I'll just as well walk away and find somewhere else to hunt. The only hunts I've done with "agreements" have been when I've done Historical Recovery projects for museums or protected historical properties. And I knew going in, the stuff I was digging was going for public display. The publicity in those cases have more benefit and gotten me onto other properties.

GT

OP
OP
I

Idetect

Greenie
Mar 11, 2013
Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Garrett GTAx 550
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have given landowners plenty of relics because I WANTED TO, but I never negotiate a split of anythihng. I work waaaaay to dang hard for them to sit inside drinking lemonade and watching TV to just go hand over the stuff I've dug. I'll just as well walk away and find somewhere else to hunt. The only hunts I've done with "agreements" have been when I've done Historical Recovery projects for museums or protected historical properties. And I knew going in, the stuff I was digging was going for public display. The publicity in those cases have more benefit and gotten me onto other properties.

GT

Yeah I like your way of thinking. I'm leaning more towards that. However, I want to arrange things so that it's win-win for everyone, and keeps me in those great civil war hunting grounds etc.

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have given landowners plenty of relics because I WANTED TO, but I never negotiate a split of anything. I work waaaaay to dang hard for them to sit inside drinking lemonade and watching TV to just go hand over the stuff I've dug. GT

I understand the thought, but the one fact we cannot get past is that it is all their property to start with. It is a good deal for both of us. I get to search the property, which is fun. They get to actually hold a few things they already own. In the end it is always a hand shake deal to me. The people I have approached are either open to a fair dinkum deal or they are not. Like most of us, I am not in this to make a living. I just see a good place to hunt and offer a possibility to the owner. When all was said and done, I've never walked away unhappy and no owner has ever called the police on me. It starts with a smile and a handshake and ends with a smile and a handshake. That's the way I was raised. That's the way I live.

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
I understand the thought, but the one fact we cannot get past is that it is all their property to start with. It is a good deal for both of us. I get to search the property, which is fun. They get to actually hold a few things they already own. In the end it is always a hand shake deal to me. The people I have approached are either open to a fair dinkum deal or they are not. Like most of us, I am not in this to make a living. I just see a good place to hunt and offer a possibility to the owner. When all was said and done, I've never walked away unhappy and no owner has ever called the police on me. It starts with a smile and a handshake and ends with a smile and a handshake. That's the way I was raised. That's the way I live.

Hey Griz, I have to agree with your post....but your signature.....Remember when bikers were bikers and not geeks and nerds?

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Griz, I have to agree with your post....but your signature.....Remember when bikers were bikers and not geeks and nerds?

Yesd, I do. And I remember when leather was not about making a fashion statement. I know of a biker "club" comprised of lawyers who all ride BMW's. Heavens to Mergatroyd...Even!

But, let's not steal this excellent thread.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hunted lots of older homes, properties and fields and have yet to have anyone ask for a split of my finds. Now, I have had some say I could detect their land if I give them EVERYTHING. And to that I pleasently thank them for their time, wish them luck and go on my way.

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
Watched that metal detecting show on television the other night, and they offered 20% to the landowner, (said to be an industry standard according to them). Didn't see any negotiating either. It was like "take it, or leave it". Think i'd need to have something more than a verbal agreement, or a hand shake before i moved a serious amount of dirt.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never been asked for a split of the finds, but if so, then what ever you agree to is a "fair" split. Would I do it for less than 50%? not on your life. I look at it as this, half of something is better than 100% of nothing. It would have to have a hell of a great potential to be thinking of splitting finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread