Farm Hunt Cont... Colonial Silver, Barber Quarter, and silver jewelry...

FooserPaul

May 9, 2008
Somewhere in CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
** UPDATE - Farm Hunt Cont... Two Colonial Silver, Barber Quarter, and silver jewelry

Hello all!

The hunt continuted this am... but I needed 2 more layers on top and a knit hat to keep me warm... It was mid to upper 40's, but windy, grey, and sprinked all am...

I had recovered 3.25 coppers, ball, buttons, buckle parts, etc... I wanted to find some silver... spanish... PUH-LEASE :-)

In in the first thirty minutes I only had one signal... a small button... Then... 9/30 10/31 11/30... and it was not a bang bang signal, but I knew it was a target and thought it was a thicker button, or copper projectile casing... I recovered the target and it was small and thin... still looked like a button as it had dark color layer from the farm field... I wiped it... SILVER !!

I could see the 1772 right off... and oh-boy it is thin... and worn... I fished my Wish !!

3262012_1772_Half_Reale.jpg

Rain, Cold, pfffffttt... Who cares now :-P

20 minutes later.... solid 12/41 @ 2"

Mystery object.. I don't see a makers mark or hallmark... but it is pretty twisted up...

3262012_Mystery_Silver.jpg

The final silver object was a solid 12/46 @ 5"... After yesterday hitting that Cap Liberty... I was oh so carefull to pin point and dig it like it was colonial :-)

Its a beautiful 1904 Barber Quarter....

3262012_1904_Barber_Quarter.jpg

I swung for another 30 minutes... 3 hours in.. I was cold and wet and had a 3.5 hour drive home... But it was a drive home with a smile on my face...

Paul

** UPDATE:

While going through the finds... Turns out that one of the buttons was not a button... Exactly the same size as a half reale... It was black black black... then lots of boiling water and baking soda on tin foil... and some TLC cleaning.... Looks like a 2nd undated half reale...

3262012_2nd_Half_Reale_Obverse.jpg

3262012_2nd_Half_Reale_Reverse.jpg

Thanks for looking...
Paul

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt! Congrats on getting your spanish silver. Always a thrill to see that pop outta the hole. :occasion14:

Briz06

Jan 1, 2011
Phoenixville, PA
Detector(s) used
White's V3X, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Finds!! .. Love the Silver.. Awesome Reale!! .. Very big on my wish list

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats!!!

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice paul! that barber is in great condition!

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta love Colonial Spaish Silver in the hole!

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta love those reale finds, therefew and far between where I come from.

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This post gets the award for finding two silvers that differ the most in wear! The Barber is exceptional and certainly was lost without any real circulation. The half real must have been heavily circulated for half a century. Love both coins. I'll bet that Barber will be worth some money in that condition.

OP
OP
FooserPaul

FooserPaul

May 9, 2008
Somewhere in CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
This post gets the award for finding two silvers that differ the most in wear! The Barber is exceptional and certainly was lost without any real circulation. The half real must have been heavily circulated for half a century. Love both coins. I'll bet that Barber will be worth some money in that condition.

The Barber came from a grass area close to the original farm... The smooth reale came from the corner of the farm field close to the house... I wished I knew on the other as it was in the button pile... but all the rest of the buttons in that pile came from farm field...

Here are the other items from this hunt... 3.25 coppers + relics... >> http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...25-coppers-11-buttons-musket-ball-relics.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread